3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 2:37 AM by Andrew Watson

Fliter to get hierarchically higher value

Ken Morrison

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to use a filter to get the dimensional values which is grouped by hierarchically higher dimensional values that that in the filter.

< Example >

1. A vendor has ID and a name

2. A vendor name can be changed but unique ID is unchanged

N.B.:names before and after changes are often unguessable and may be completely different name.

3. A vendor has its own product name and Product ID

* My user wants to filter by Vendor name and show the facts like sales, profits, etc.

* My user also wants to know the facts recorded under the old vendor name.

* My user does not want to use ID in the filter but the user insists to use a name as it is more user friendly.

Data looks like this:

Vendor Geo code (integer) PK, Vendor code (integer) PK, Vendor name (string), Product ID (integer), Product name (string)

123, 1918, Vendor A new, 123, Product 1

123, 1918, Vendor A new, 124, Product 2

123, 1918, Vendor A new, 125, Product 3

123, 1920, Vendor B, 125, Product 3

123, 1920, Vendor B, 125, Product 3

123, 1918, Vendor A old, 124, Product 2

123, 1918, Vendor A old, 122, Product 0

If I use `Vendor name (string) ` in the filter, I could only visualise the data for the first 3 rows or the last 2 rows, even if I want to have the fact for both Vendor A new & A old. It is not practical to let user choose one or more vendor by primary keys due to large number of such registrations.

Does anyone have good idea to respond to the requirement using Tableau functions, functionalities, etc.?

Thank you and best regards,

KM