5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 9:21 AM by John Vermeer Branched from an earlier discussion.

Help with Logshark error

Brad Baker

Hi, I'm trying to make the publishworkbooks function with a command line like this:

logshark ziplogs_201704071335.zip -s -p --sitename XXX --projectname Logshark

My Logshark.config file has the Tableau connection configured like:

<TableauConnection protocol="http">

<Server address="myserver" port="80" site="XXX" />

<User username="myuser" password="nottelling" />

</TableauConnection>

I'm running Tableau Server 10.1.3 and I get this error in Logshark.log when it tries to publish:

2017-04-17 15:27:35,276 myserver_ziplogs201704071335zip [1] ERROR Logshark.Controller.Plugin.PluginExecutor - Failed to publish workbooks: Unable to initialize Tableau Server for publishing: Failed to retrieve site ID for site 'XXX': Failed to retrieve successful response for GET request to 'http://myserver/api/2.2/sites/XXX?key=name' after 3 attempts: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found

Any idea what's going on?

Brad

• 1. Re: Help with Logshark error
          Jeff Strauss

is it the default site on server?  If so, you don't need the site, take it off and see if it works.

• 2. Re: Help with Logshark error
            Brad Baker

Thanks for responding.  No its not the default site, but I'll tried that also and it still failed.

• 3. Re: Help with Logshark error
              Eric Veal

Hi Brad,

A couple of things worth trying and looking into:

1. Confirm that the LogShark computer can use TabCmd to communicate with the destination Tableau Server.  Try running tabcmd logout and login (docs on usage) to ensure there is a proper communication channel between client and host.
              2. Try using the full Active Directory name such as <domain>\<userName>.
              3. What is the setting of api.server.enabled?  Docs on running tabadmin set command to get this setting.
              4. Ensure that the username provided is a site admin and confirm that the permissions on the destination Project are open in such a way to allow the user to publish.
              5. Ensure that the username and password being passed are exactly correct.
              6. Ensure that configured SSL is not having an adverse impact on the communications.

I hope this helps with a few additional ideas.

Eric

• 4. Re: Help with Logshark error
                John Vermeer

Brad, I tend to agree with Eric. I set my Tableau Server to "api.server.enabled false" and see a very similar logshark log error to what you posted. You will need to set "api.server.enabled true" to have logshark work.

• 5. Re: Help with Logshark error
                  John Vermeer

Brad, One final observation. My logshark installation requires that "Site name" and "Site ID" must MATCH.

nameEqID.png

If not, I get the following error in my log:

2017-04-21 09:14:27,103 jvermeer-ts1_17042116142143_02878764jonesbackupzip [1] DEBUG Logshark.Controller.Plugin.PluginExecutor - Logshark.Exceptions.PublishingException: Unable to initialize Tableau Server for publishing: Failed to retrieve site ID for site 'Logshark1': Failed to retrieve successful response for GET request to 'http://jvermeer-lap2/api/2.2/sites/Logshark1?key=name' after 3 attempts: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. ---> Logshark.Exceptions.PublishingException: Unable to initialize Tableau Server for publishing: Failed to retrieve site ID for site 'Logshark1': Failed to retrieve successful response for GET request to 'http://jvermeer-lap2/api/2.2/sites/Logshark1?key=name' after 3 attempts: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.