1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 11:52 AM by diego.medrano

Publishing blended data source extracts to tableau server

Venkatesh Muvvala

Hi All,

I have a dashboard built from 5 different data sources, they all blended together with calculated columns from one data source referencing to other data source in the workbook. Now I am trying to convert live data sources into extracts and publish to tableau server for better performance but when I am trying to publish extracted data sources I am facing the below error.

Out of 5 Data Sources:

3 are excels from shared drive

2 views from MSSQL server

Error.jpg

Functionality I am trying to achieve is publishing blended data source extracts into tableau server, so that extracts can be scheduled for refresh to maintain latest information in dashboard.

Experiment 1:

Ignoring the alert, published the data sources and then published the dashboard. Result - Empty views because of relationship got broken between sources.

Experiment 2:

Placed extracts in the shared drive and published only dashboard. Result - Tableau server store data source as extract and could not able to refresh excel from the shared drive.

As suggested in this link http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#multipleconnections_troubleshooting.html#publisheddatasource

I could not publish the data sources first into the tableau server and create the dashboard from the scratch because I am using parameters in the calculation from all (25) sheets to maintain filtering across the workbook and data from all the sources.

Any solution is appreciated.

Thanks

Venkat