13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2017 4:11 AM by Arihant Maloo

Records above a threshold in a row

Esther Twain

Hello dear tableauers ,

Using Sample Superstore, 10.2, I have this challenge where I have to:

1. Highlight all the marks above a threshold (checked)

2. For all of the marks above the threshold in a row label the last mark with the number of consecutive marks in a row. (not checked - I only have each mark labeled with the 1 that is supposed to be summed up, and the running_sum value)

3. Also label the last mark with the total sales above the threshold for that series in a row. (not checked - don't do the faintest idea)

This is what I have at the moment:

records above threshold.PNG

I was thinking of creating a Dimension/Pane with the series of marks with 1 in a row, and use it as a Partitioning dimension. Is this possible to do?

Thanks,

Esther

• 1. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
          Esther Twain

Anyone willing to show me the light?

• 2. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
            Sonali chavan

Esther plz share workbook for better understanding

-Sonali

• 4. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
              Sonali chavan

Hi Esther,

As per my understanding, your 1st requirement is to just highlight marks with value grater than threshold is completed. (As i can see it in your screenshot)

2. Can u plz elaborate your second and third requirement , I m not getting it.

- Sonali

• 5. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                Esther Twain

Sonali,

The 2nd requirement asks for a label in the last mark that completes a series of consecutive marks above the threshold.

See the screenshot below if you may. The first series goes like: 0 1 1 1 1. Here, there are 4 one's in a row, so the last mark should be labeled 4 (and the other ones should be labeled nothing)

(The 1 stands for "above threshold", the 0 "below threshold" - we are only interested in the 1s).

The 3rd requirement is the same as 2nd, except, instead of a label with the running sum of 1s, the last mark should be labeled with the total sales above the threshold for that series in a row.

Did I make it clearer for you?

Thanks for the attention,

Esther

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                  Sonali chavan

Sounds like bit tricky....let me give it a shot...

Thanks

Sonali

• 7. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                    Esther Twain

Indeed it is tricky...

• 8. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                      Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Esther,

Who thought about this project? This is not just tricky, it pushed me to the limits! But I've got a solution for you. I don't have time to write a detailed explanation now. I will do so later. Please see attached workbook. There are so many calculated fields. This was a big challenge but I loved it.

Hope this helps.

Ossai

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                        Esther Twain

Hello Okechukwu,

Glad you liked the diabolic touch of this challenge And thank you so much for your solution! Definitely will need a explanation, more in the lines of -- what was your thought process? How did you embrace the challenge when first looking at it? How long did it take you to solve it?

This challenge is actually from the Challenge Workbook composed by Bronson Shonk, a Product Consultant from Tableau. This challenge in particular lies in the Advanced level. You should have a look at it - it even goes to a Jedi level.

Esther

• 10. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                          Esther Twain

Hi again Okechukwu,

Pardon the impertinance but I've looked you up in Linkedin, following up on your profile here at the community (don't worry - I do this with a lot of Tableau knowledgeable ones, to get a sense of their path, etc) and I find it strange that, with your Tableau experience, you may not be aware of this challenge Workbook (is that the case?)

I'm doing these challenges as part of my learning in Tableau and sometimes wonder how much of it is actually applicable in the day-to-day of a Tableau professional...

Would you be available to talk about what type of Tableau challenges do you face each day on your job?

My curiosity is immense about these type of questions, really. But of course you are free to decline. I would understand.

Thank you very much,

Esther

• 11. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                            Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Esther,

I like your curiosity. My Tableau journey is long-winded but I'll rather cut the story short.

and I find it strange that, with your Tableau experience, you may not be aware of this challenge Workbook (is that the case?)

Yes, that's the case. I still don't know how it may be strange though. My Tableau experience is just slightly over 1 year now.  Much of that experience came through self-study and online courses, including free training resources on Tableau website.

Prior to discovering Tableau around March 2016, I wasn't your typical data analyst as you must have observed from my Linkedln profile. My background is in the oil and gas industry. I spent over 12 years as a geologist/petrophysicist analysing seismic and borehole data. My role then involved extracting insight from data albeit a different kind of data with different analytical approaches.

I took a decision to move away from the oil and gas sector in August 2015 and make a career change to a more generalist data analyst role. I happened to discover Tableau 6 months later. It's been a short and eventful journey for me.

I'm six months into my current role, which is not yet on my Linkedln profile. I use Tableau mainly to produce visualizations for different product teams. I encounter all sorts of challenges as a tableau developer working in a customer facing team.

I've discovered that participating in the community has been helpful, especially by answering questions and seeing how others approach the same question.

Hope this has reduced your curiosity a bit. Let me know if you further questions.

Ossai

• 12. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                              Esther Twain

Hi Okechukwu,

Thanks for sharing your Tableau journey. It is definitely an interesting one. You say that you weren't the typical data analyst but I'm sure that those 12 years of experience in the oil and gas industry gave you a core set of analytical skills and critical thinking foundation that are much necessary for being an excellent data analyst, so I think you have a great competitive edge there. What a shame companies don't recognize that...

And exactly for this reason, one thing I've come to notice is that the field of data analysis/business intelligence is not context or background-specific, as the ability to ask the right questions is fundamental to -any- industry/sector/area, and you sure asked a handful of those at your role as a geologist/petrophysicist.

Do you have any particular modus-operandi when facing a (Tableau) challenge? What is your thinking breakdown process? (particularly in this challenge in discussion)

I'm into Tableau for ~4 months, fresh out of college, with zero industry knowledge, zero customer concerns's knowlege, but wanting to get a spot on the BI field. I'm mostly doing tableau challenges available at Tableau conferences, after watching all the training videos, and sometimes I try to replicate some dashboards from over Tableau Public of Make Over Monday (did you have that approach?). Would you happen to have any advice for me?

Very, very appreciated for your sharing.

Esther

• 13. Re: Records above a threshold in a row
                                Arihant Maloo

The third requirement to label the last mark with the total sales above the threshold for that series in a row is not addressed in the workbook you have provided.

It should provide the total sales wherever the bar chart is labelled as last for that series of bar charts.