1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 3:50 PM by Deepak Rai

New user, need tips regarding data structure

Fernando Takagi

Hi Tableau folks,

I'm new to Tableau and I've began structuring our database to store game events for it. As we will have a multitude of event categories with different parameters, I've created a centralized table which will store all common data and the eventType, and other two tables for generic use.

These generic fields have different meanings depending on the eventType, it looks like this imported on Tableau:

Here, when Type=GAMEIN, Text1 means the game name. I began exploring using the sheet above there are some things bothered me:

1. When filtering "Text1" it will show every value in the Data source, even though Type was filtered (GAMEIN):

Can I enforce it to display only the game names (i.e. Type=GAMEIN) for Text1?

2. Can I change the "Text1 (Copy)" label in the column header?

3. Most importantly, do you think this data design can be explored to Tableau full potential?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: New user, need tips regarding data structure
          Deepak Rai

Hi Fernando,

1. When filtering "Text1" it will show every value in the Data source, even though Type was filtered (GAMEIN):

See the Small inverted triangle on side of your filter. Check ONLY RELEVANT VALUES instead of All values in database. That would resolve first issue.

2. Can I change the "Text1 (Copy)" label in the column header?

Right Click and Rename this Field under Measures. Give it any name of your choice.

3. Most importantly, do you think this data design can be explored to Tableau full potential?

Yes, you can use this data for any insight you need.

Hope it Helps!!!

Thanks

Deepak