1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 4:56 PM by Debasish PaiMazumder

Multidimensional array

Debasish PaiMazumder

Hi

I am quite new in Tableau. I am wondering how does tableau handle multidimensional array.

I have an array with dimension US county X time (daily data for three month = 92). I am preparing a *.csv file so that tableau can read the file.

What would be the best format of the file -

lat lon county time1 time2 time3..........time92

or

time lat lon county value

time1

time1

:

:

time2

time2

:

:

time92

with regards

-Deb

• 1. Re: Multidimensional array
          Luciano Vasconcelos

It would be better if this array were only one field with separators in order to Tableau pivot your data.

• 2. Re: Multidimensional array
            Kaz Shakir

Debasish,

The general rule with data in databases is that "Tall & Thin" is a better format than "Short & Wide."  That's not always the case.  In your exapmple, I would go with your second approach where each row represnts a unique combination of time and country.  You could also remove the lattitude and longitude values from this table (so that you just have Time, Country, Value), and create a second table that just has Country, Lat, Lon in it, and then join the two tables in Tableau on the Country field.  Lastly, depending on how you want your report to look in Tableau, you might need a "Calendar" table, where the columns would be Date, Day, Month, Quarter, Year - where there would be a row for each day of every year you have in your data, and you would categorize each day as to which month it belongs to, which quarter it belongs to and which year it belongs to - this makes it easier to do roll-ups based on these different categories.  And then you would join this calendar table to your main table where the Time columne would equal the Date column.

Hope that's helpful.

Kaz.

• 3. Re: Multidimensional array
              Debasish PaiMazumder

Thanks for your responses.  Can anyone point me to similar type of example ?

with regards

-Deb

• 4. Re: Multidimensional array
                Kaz Shakir

I can't point you to examples in these forums - although I know there are many.  You should probably study data noramlization to better understand the best ways to structure your data - you can google it, and here's one site I found that's pretty good: http://www.guru99.com/database-normalization.html . I'm not endorsing it, but it gives a good introduction to the topic.

Kaz.

• 5. Re: Multidimensional array
                  Debasish PaiMazumder

Thanks for your response.

-Deb

• 6. Re: Multidimensional array
                    Luciano Vasconcelos

Debasish, i made a mistake on previous answer. Sorry about that.

You can't split and pivot data at once.

I'll build an example for you.

• 7. Re: Multidimensional array
                      Luciano Vasconcelos

Hi.

I built an example using this data:

Team IDProcess ID201701201702201703

It works for excel files. I don't remember what kind of data supports be pivotted. Maybe you need to use Union in customSQL to reproduce this idea.

See steps below:

• 8. Re: Multidimensional array
                        Debasish PaiMazumder

Thanks Luciano.

-Deb

• 9. Re: Multidimensional array
                          Debasish PaiMazumder

Luciano Vasconcelos

Thanks for your response. It works for one variable. Now I have following file with two variables

lat lon county x(time1) x(time2) x(time3)..........x(time92) y(time1) y(time2) y(time3)..........y(time92)

and I would like to create a following file

time lat lon county x  y

time1

time1

:

:

time2

time2

:

:

time92

when I applied pivot, I create one column for both x and y. how do I create two separate column for x and y?

Any solution ?

-Deb

• 10. Re: Multidimensional array
                            Kaz Shakir

Deb,

From what you are describing, your data looks something like this:

(numbers are just random placeholders)

Also, in your original post, you said that you are actually building the .csv files that you will be feeding in to Tableau.  If that's the case, then you should have a great deal of control over how to re-shape this data to make it more functional in Tableau.  If I were you, I would use Excel to help you re-shape the data.  Here are the steps that I would take.

First, break the above data into three tables - (a) County - just has lat, lon, county, and countyID, (b) x - that has countyID, and related time columns, and (c) y - that has countyID, and related time columns: (note I just created the CountyID column - it's just sequential values)

County Table

x table

y table

Next, you need to "un-roll" or "un-pivot" the x and y tables.  There is functionality in Excel that will allow you to do this.  Rather than try to explain it here - check out this video with some instructions about it: https://youtu.be/pUXJLzqlEPk

After you "un-roll" those two tables, they should look like this (and I renamed them to x times, and y times)

x times table

y times table

The three tables that are most important and the County table, the x times table, and the y times table.  You can bring these tables together in Tableau, and ask Tableau to join them, like this:

And your data pane in Tableau will now look like this:

And you can see that the x times and values are broken out separately from the y times and values.

Hope that helps.

Kaz.

• 11. Re: Multidimensional array
                              Luciano Vasconcelos

Post some data please.

• 12. Re: Multidimensional array
                                Debasish PaiMazumder

Kaz Shakir

I have tried that but excel unable pivot all the data.......giving me a message - "not all the source record has been copied"

-Deb

• 13. Re: Multidimensional array
                                  Debasish PaiMazumder

Luciano Vasconcelos

Here my file. In 1st row date repeat twice. for x1 (20170801-20170831) and then for x2(20170801-20170831). I would like to create data like

city    city_ascii    state_id    state name    county name    date    x1    x2  

with regards

-Deb

• 14. Re: Multidimensional array
                                    Kaz Shakir

Deb,

Looks like you maxed out Excel - LOL - you don't have to worry about that with Tableau.  You can break the data up into two parts in Excel, and then recombine it in Tableau using union.  Here's my shot at it.

I broke up the data at row 20,000 - so, just like the previous example, I have a County table, but this time I have County_a and County_b, that look like this:

County_a

County_b

And then, same for x1 and x2, there's x1_a and x1_b, and x2_a and x2_b:

x1_a

x1_b

And then in Tableau, using the Union functionality added in version 10:

County:

And do the same for x1 and x2, and then join all the union-ed tables:

And you get the same result:

Kaz.

1 2 Previous Next