2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 7:45 AM by Béatrice LORIOT

Year over year comparaison and growth with parameters

Béatrice LORIOT

Hi all,

I am using 2 parameters to combine various indicators

I am wondering what’s the best approach to be able to display as well the same indicators over the same period last year - without having to display 2 new parameters for last year.

In this example, I will see my sales (Sum of sales $) and my units sold (Count ID) from 01/01/2017 to 31/03/2017 and be able to compare to 01/01/2016 to 31/03/2016

Each time the user will change the start or end date on the parameters 2017, then  last year indicators will update as well.

I would like then to display period over period change.

Sorry i can not share a twbx and I am stuck with parameters.

Thanks a lot everyone !

Cheers

Béa

• 1. Re: Year over year comparaison and growth with parameters
          Travis Stone

Hey Béa,

These depend somewhat on how you want to display the data as well. For example, if you want to do calculations showing difference between the two time periods, then a calculation like the following can help;

But if you want a line chart over this period between the parameters, and another line showing the data from this period last year, then it's a bit more tricky and you have to 'trick' tableau into thinking these both have the same 'Order Date'.

Or just have your axis on Months, and put the year of Order Date on the color control on the Marks card to differentiate between the two periods.

Again, this all somewhat depends on your final visualization, but I hope this helps a little.

-Travis

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Year over year comparaison and growth with parameters
            Béatrice LORIOT

Hi Travis,

You made my day :-)  "Last Year Sales" works perfectly fine !

Thanks so much, have a great day !

Cheers

Béa

1 of 1 people found this helpful