6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2017 10:53 AM by Mithil Mangalore

Flag arrows

Mindaugas Devyžis

Hello!

I want to evaluate KPIs change month by month. I took the difference of last month and previous month. And got column = 'Last vs. Prior month value'. Also I wanted to add  up flag arrow for column 'Last vs. Prior month value' only. UnfortunatelyTableau added for whole table row. Is there any way to leave arrows only for the last table column?

Your help is much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Flag arrows
          Mithil Mangalore

Hi Mindaugas,

I have created a couple of calculated fields to accomplish this. I have attached the solution here. I am concatenating the arrow field and the percentage field and creating another calculated field. I am then handling the null conditions using a separate calculation. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Mithil

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flag arrows
            Joe Oppelt

Mithil -- That's a really nice approach.  Everything I tried also moved the arrow to the front of the list of measures because it has to be a discrete value.

But I got the impression that Mindaugas needed the arrows either somewhere among the measures, or at the end.

Because the original viz is using "measure names"/"Measure values", whatever goes on the text shelf has to be applied to all the measures.  And "measure names" is treated as one entity when evaluating index values, so you can't differentiate one from another and set a value just for the last() one or first() one...

In the attached, I created a second sheet that displays just the arrows.  Then I positioned the two sheets on a dashboard to look like one viz.  This has its problems if the  sheets need to scroll, but if not, it's a quick and dirty way to force something to look the way you want it to look.

• 3. Re: Flag arrows
              Mindaugas Devyžis

Hi Mithil,

Thank You for such a quick response! That looks good! Is there a possibility to color the triangle without coloring the value nearby (for example green if positive change; red - if negative)?

Thanks,

Mindaugas

• 4. Re: Flag arrows
                Norbert Maijoor

Hi Mindaugas,

Find my "alternative" approach as reference below and stored in attached workbook version 10.1 located in the original thread.

• 5. Re: Flag arrows
                  Mindaugas Devyžis

Hi Joe,

Yes, the approach of making to sheets was in my head also. But as You mentioned - scrolling of sheets takes some time and patience.

Thank You!

• 6. Re: Flag arrows
                    Mithil Mangalore

The technique I suggested converts the measure to a string. Which means it will no longer be a measure. You will not be able to color the dimension column. You can use Norbert's technique and try to hide the column header.

Thanks,

Mithil