2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 4:58 AM by Jose Silva

DEFAULT FILTER (FILTER ON FILTER)

Jose Silva

Hi,

I am struggling with a dashboard that uses filters on filters

I have two groups “Mercado” and “Submercado”. But not all the options in Submercado are available for each Mercado. I can illustrate this in this figure

When I select the Mercado “EESS TERCEROS” and the Submercado “ATR” the results can be seen, but when I change the Mercado to “EESS PROPIAS” a blank view displays. And the drop-down filter shows “(ATR)”—it’s in parentheses to let you know that the filter value isn’t relevant.

How can I avoid this?

I am trying the function CASE to set default filters but I could make this work.

I would like to set a default filter for both Mercados as (All), or any other default filter. I would like to avoid the blank view.

Can any body help me please?

Many Thanks,

• 1. Re: DEFAULT FILTER (FILTER ON FILTER)
          Amber Loranger

Hi Jose,

I don't believe there is a way to completely avoid the blank view as you describe. You can set "Only Relevant Values" on the Submercado filter, but I tested this and if you already have ATR selected and then select EEES PROPIAS, ATR still shows in parentheses.

You could add your vote to the following Community Idea about this topic: https://community.tableau.com/ideas/1713

Additionally, you can work around this issue by creating a combined field from Mercado and Submercado (Select both fields, right-click one and choose Create > Combined Field) and using that to filter in place of the separate Mercado and Submercado fields. This will allow you to only select valid combinations, but I am not sure if it will be the look/experience that you are looking for.

- Amber

• 2. Re: DEFAULT FILTER (FILTER ON FILTER)
            Jose Silva

Hi Amber,

Thank you for you advice, it is helpful but that is not what i am looking for (the look/experience).

Many thanks for taking a time to answer my question

José