1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 7:32 AM by Matt Coles

Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"

alice.valentin

On the Advanced Alerts Demo, at the bottom I have the "test_alert" entered in text.  This is entered with the double quotes?  

My logfile is error free except I'm not getting any alerts.  The log file indicates the following:  

MainThread - 2017-03-10 09:59:28 -
      [DEBUG] - _make_request - "GET /views/VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews?&:format=csv&:refresh=y&:embed=y HTTP/1.1" 200 2

MainThread - 2017-03-10 09:59:28 - [INFO] - export_view - Attempting to write to:.\temp\20170310095928269000_MainThread_VizAlertsConfig-ScheduledTriggerViews.csv

MainThread - 2017-03-10 09:59:28 -[INFO] - main - Processing a total of 0 alerts

When viewing the 'Schedules', the VizAlerts is scheduled as follows and is disabled:  

My email address is defined in the Advanced Alerts Test on both the VizAlerts from Email to VizAlerts to Email. 

Please let me know what else I need to do to get the 30+ emails to be successfully sent.   

• 1. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
          Matt Coles

No quotes, just the literal text, test_alert

• 2. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
            alice.valentin

I changed it to the literal and I'm still getting

MainThread - 2017-03-10 10:37:37 - [DEBUG] - _make_request - "GET /views/VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews?&:format=csv&:refresh=y&:embed=y HTTP/1.1" 200 2

MainThread - 2017-03-10 10:37:37 - [INFO] - export_view - Attempting to write to: .\temp\20170310103737856000_MainThread_VizAlertsConfig-ScheduledTriggerViews.csv

MainThread - 2017-03-10 10:37:37 - [INFO] - main - Processing a total of 0 alerts

What else should I check to get this test working?

• 3. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
              Matt Coles

I'm not sure, based on just this. There is a five-minute limit on the test_alert comments, so if you ran it five minutes after you entered the comment, it won't get picked up. Try it again, is my suggestion. Enter the comment, then run the python script directly thereafter. If it doesn't work, there's possibly something wrong with the ScheduledTriggerViews viz. You should see a line on there with a negative Subscription ID, if the comment is being picked up correctly. If not, I'd use Web Edit on a duplicated sheet to play with the data and figure out what filter or other might be excluding your data.

• 4. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                alice.valentin

Because I'm new to Tableau, I'm not understanding where to see the negative Subscription ID?  

Can you provide me with a picture and the steps to take to see why this isn't processing the alerts?

The Advanced Alerts Demo has my email address: 

I've put in the test_alert and executed it twice:

Still getting processin a total of 0 alerts.  Here's the last log file.  

D:\VizAlerts>python vizalerts.py
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [INFO] - LoggerQuickSetup - Logging initialized, writing to .\logs\vizalerts.log_2017-03-13.log
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [INFO] - main - VizAlerts v2.0.1 is starting
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - trusted_ticket_test - testing trusted ticket: tdcmstabd:8000, SvcTableau, TIMET, None
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_trusted_ticket - Generating trusted ticket. Request details: Server: tdcmstabd:8000, Site: , Username: SvcTable
                au, Url: http://tdcmstabd:8000/trusted, Postdata: username=TIMET%5CSvcTableau.
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_trusted_ticket - NOT using SSLand NOT verifying cert
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_trusted_ticket - Got ticket: F3gEiFWtbTuxPYqFo7k-lmy6
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - trusted_ticket_test - Generated tes
                t trusted ticket. Value is: F3gEiFWtbTuxPYqFo7k-lmy6
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_alerts - Pulling source viz data down
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_trusted_ticket - Generating trusted ticket. Request details: Server: tdcmstabd:8000, Site: , Username: SvcTable
                au, Url: http://tdcmstabd:8000/trusted, Postdata: username=TIMET%5CSvcTableau.
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_trusted_ticket - NOT using SSLand NOT verifying cert
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - get_trusted_ticket - Got ticket: -Z
                DSTDErvoMl-7oVPTiEdBzP
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - export_view - Getting vizdata from:
                http://tdcmstabd:8000/trusted/-ZDSTDErvoMl-7oVPTiEdBzP/views/VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews?&:format=csv&:refresh=y
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - export_view - NOT Validating cert for this request
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [INFO] - _new_conn - Starting new HTTP connection (1): tdcmstabd
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:26 - [DEBUG] - _make_request - "GET /trusted/-ZDST
                DErvoMl-7oVPTiEdBzP/views/VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews?&:format=csv&:refresh=y HTTP/1.1" 302 0
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:27 - [DEBUG] - _make_request - "GET /views/VizAlertsConfig/ScheduledTriggerViews?&:format=csv&:refresh=y&:embed=y HTTP/1.1" 200 2
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:27 - [INFO] - export_view - Attempting to write to: .\temp\20170313084627773000_MainThread_VizAlertsConfig-ScheduledTriggerViews.csv
                MainThread - 2017-03-13 08:46:27 - [INFO] - main - Processing a total of 0 alerts

D:\VizAlerts>

• 5. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                  Jonathan Drummey

Hi Alice,

Thanks for all the screenshots and logs!

On first glance the one thing that you didn’t include was whether the Advanced Alerts Demo view had been subscribed to one of your VizAlerts schedules (such as the VizAlerts - Every 15 minutes schedule that you’d previously created). I’m guessing that it hasn’t been been because the screenshot of the Scheduled Trigger View viz isn’t returning any records, if the vew had been subscribed then it should show up here.

What you’d need to do is browse to the Advanced Alerts Demo view on Tableau Server, click on the Subscribe button on the toolbar, and subscribe the view to the VizAlerts schedule. Then you could run the test_alert and start VizAlerts and it should work, if it doesn’t let us know!

Jonathan

• 6. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                    alice.valentin

Hi Jonathan;

Thank you for this information.

I did click on Subscribe but it's not keeping the VizAlerts  - Every 15 minutes as the Schedule?

• 7. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                      Matt Coles

Well, but Alice is using the test_alert comment feature, so no subscription should be required for that to get picked up and run.

Alice, the steps are these:

1. Enter the comment just as you showed in the second image.

2. Within five minutes of when you entered the comment, refresh the ScheduledTriggerViews viz. The single line representing your test alert should show up with a negative Subscription Id.

3. You should receive your alert.

If on (2) you don't see anything, and on (3) you don't get anything, then there is a problem of some kind preventing the ScheduledTriggerViews viz from picking up the data from your comment. Did you alter any of the filter in the viz, by any chance? Is the viz pointing to the correct Tableau Server repository database? If you can't figure out why it's not showing up, try having your colleague re-publish your ScheduledTriggerViews viz as a new viz, enter the comment again, and see if it show up there.

• 8. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                        alice.valentin

Hi Matt;

I've put in the test_alert in the Advanced Alerts Demo: 

Where on the ScheduledTriggerViews should you see a negative Subscription Id? 

As this is the screen of the view that I'm looking at:  

The ScheduleTriggerViews is displaying another schedule and not the VizAlerts schedule, is that accurate?

I didn't alert this view.  I did re-create it so that that is would be under the VizAlertsConfig workbook to match the installation guide. 

• 9. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                          Matt Coles

The value should show in the big blank spot in the middle.

No need to subscribe to this viz--ignore the Subscribe button for now, it is not relevant at the moment.

Please click the VizAlertsConfig link at the top, where you see Home>Default>VizAlertsConfig. Then click Data Sources. Confirm that it does not say "Extract". Then, click the link to the data source and confirm that it is pointing to the correct PostgreSQL repository database server.

If everything already looks fine, please download your VizAlertsConfig workbook as a .twb and attach it here.

thanks!

• 10. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                            alice.valentin

Hi Matt;

I do have a blank spot.    Also, I do log onto another server for our PostgresSQL database with the readonly account.

I do get a when trying to use remote desktop to connect.

I clicked on the VizAlertsConfig and clicked on Data Sources and the VizAlerts ScheduledTriggerViews displays as follows:

I tested the connection to the PostgresSQL database and it works successfully.  I edit the connection and all the information is accurate.

I've attached both the VizAlertsConfig and the VizAlertsDemo. 

• 11. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                              Matt Coles

You don't need to remote desktop into the host, so that's fine.

I downloaded your VizAlertsConfig.twb file, pointed it to my own PostgreSQL server, then commented "test_alert" on my own view. It behaved as expected for me:

So there appears to be nothing wrong with your viz, and you're not extracting the data. Lingering possibilities is that "tdcmstab1" is not the correct PostgreSQL server at all? I see from your previous logs that you were connecting to "tdcmstabd". Is your server multi-node? If not, it's not the right PostgreSQL server to point to, and you need to switch it to point to "tdcmstabd". If it is multi-node, can you please show the config diagram from the status page? It looks like this:

If all that is right, I'm pretty much out of ideas except double checking that you've entered the comment correctly. You might connect directly to the Comments tables in the PostgreSQL database and confirm it's there, then try and determine what's preventing it from showing in the config viz...

In our email correspondence, I suggested Jonathan Drummey / DataBlick for direct assistance, or Tableau Professional Services--I provide support through this forum only (occasionally email if sensitive info is shared).

• 12. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                                alice.valentin

Hi Matt;

When I launch our Tableau Server, I just get the 'Site Status':

How do you display the 'Server Status'? 

• 13. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                                  alice.valentin

Hi  Matt;

I got it: 

So does that indicate that I've been using the incorrect PostgresSQL server?

• 14. Re: Getting processing a total of 0 alets when using text "test_alert"
                                    Matt Coles

Yes, it does. The "Repository" process at the bottom is your PostgreSQL instance, and it is running on tdcmstabd, so that's where you need to point your VizAlertsConfig workbook's data source at. I assume "tdcmstab1" must belong to a test server, or somesuch? Doesn't matter, really. Just edit the data source in your VizAlertsConfig workbook, and republish (or, edit the data source directly on Server by clicking here:)

1 2 Previous Next