4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 8:19 AM by Deva Kumar Balasundaram

Tableau’s subscription functionality to notify end-users about new data

Deva Kumar Balasundaram

Report would go out only if there are new cases per some criteria, per day. but I am curious to what extent can i use Tableau’s subscription functionality to notify end-users about new data?

• 1. Re: Tableau’s subscription functionality to notify end-users about new data
          Matt Coles

If you are using v 10.1 or higher, Conditional Subscriptions may be useful. You could define a level-of detail calc that determines if there were any new cases across the entire dataset

{ FIXED : MAX
              (
              IF DATEDIFF('minute', [Created Date], NOW()) >= 30 THEN 1 // were any new records created in the last half hour?
              ELSE 0 
              END
              )
          }

Drag that to Filters, select only "1". Now data will show on your sheet only if a record has been created in the last 30 minutes.

Subscribe to it on Tableau Server, and check this box when you do:

Note that if you have a multi-sheet Dashboard you want to send out, each sheet must be filtered the same way, or else the subscription will always be sent.

You can read more about this feature in this blog post written by the illustrious Jonathan Drummey.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau’s subscription functionality to notify end-users about new data
            Deva Kumar Balasundaram

Thank you so much Matt. It is very helpful. I do not have any date field that defines when the data is updated in my table. in this case How could I find the updated data. Do you have any ideas about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deva

• 3. Re: Tableau’s subscription functionality to notify end-users about new data
              Matt Coles

Do you have a field telling you when the Case was created? How about updated? These two things are pretty critical to being able to tell what is new and what is not. Nearly every system that I've ever worked with provides this information on the back-end, so I question why it's not available to you--surely it must exist somewhere! I'd pursue that route first.

If you really can't get access to those fields, there is another technique that is less reliable, but could still work. Assuming you have a live data connection that you are working from, the technique is to duplicate your data connection in your workbook, and extract one of them on a daily schedule (say, 08:00). Use the data blending feature to blend the two data sets together on whatever uniquely identifies each case (caseId or something). Then create a Filter which compares the values from each of the data sources to each other that you care about. Something like IF ATTR([case status 1]) <> ATTR([case status 2]) OR ATTR([case priority 1]) <> ATTR([case priority 2]) THEN 1 ELSE 0 .Filter it to True, and then set your Subscription to run before the extract refresh is scheduled. That way, the extracted data represents the previous day's data, and the live connection represents the current data. Any Case which has changed between the two days would show in the viz, and trigger the subscription, and any that hadn't, wouldn't.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau’s subscription functionality to notify end-users about new data
                Deva Kumar Balasundaram

Thank you so much Matt. We don't have date field that gives us updated data information so I am using Extract method to compare unique ids to get updated data and everything works fine in terms of Data Accuracy. I am having a problem with performance issue. It is very slow and I am using this calculated field as quick filter and other quick filters also. My data set is only 250K records. Is there any way to improve the performance.