2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 12:28 PM by Chris McClellan

People switching from visitor to exhibitor

Maxime Huot

Hey,

I have a database that contains various events (i.e. 2014, 2015, 2016)

in each event there are two types of people: exhibitors or visitors
      each people has its own name inside the database, for example: client 1, client 2, client 3.

In my table the people can change status, for example they may have been visitors during year 2014 and became exhibitors in 2015.

I need to target those people that changed status and that were exhibitors at one event and that switched to visitors at the next event or the other way around

Ideally i would need to know who changed status between each event and also know in which way they switched ex:
      client 1 has been a visitor in 2014 and 2015 = blank

client 2 has been a visitor in 2014 and become exhibitor in 2015 = V to E

client 3 has been an exhibitor in 2014 and became visitor in 2015 = E to V

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: People switching from visitor to exhibitor
          Mark Fraser

Hi Maxime

I saw this earlier, but nobody has replied... so here goes!

client 1 has been a visitor in 2014 and 2015 = blank

this is easy enough, using IF statement, something like this -

if YEAR([date]) = 2014 and [type] = 'visitor' then null

elseif YEAR([date]) = 2015 and [type] = 'visitor' then null

else 1

end

the problem is...this part

client 2 has been a visitor in 2014 and become exhibitor in 2015 = V to E

client 3 has been an exhibitor in 2014 and became visitor in 2015 = E to V

how to explain...?!

if i had to do this (id prefer to do in SQL), i would first want to create buckets, and then test against those...

i.e. i would want to list all vistors in 2014, and separately visitors in 2015 etc.

then i would nest these as a sub-query to identfity who has changed across years

it maybe possible in tableau but needs to thinking about, you may be able to do it via bins, but i would do this outside tableau, as mentioned in SQL or something

Apologies, not entirely helpful, hence me waiting on others... but hopefully something there provides some inspiration

happy to try and help further if i can...

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: People switching from visitor to exhibitor
            Chris McClellan

Can you provide some fake data please ?

Is your dataset purely Name, Year, Type ?

Do you have Event as well, is in several different events in the one year, or is Event really Year ?