The linking field has to be on both sheets, otherwise there is nothing to link on. Depending your visualization, you should be able to add the ID field somewhere with out destroying your viz (detail, columns/rows with it hidden)
additionally there may be a way to achieve your goal with parameters or something else. Can you provide a packaged workbook or recreate the issue with Superstore data? the more detail we have the better we can understand your issue and provide Ideas.
Unfortunately I do not know how to upload the workbook while obfuscating internal data. I also don't believe this can be replicated in superstore with the available data. If these screenshots can help in any way, let me know. I can provide any additional data you need. Or if you know of any way to upload a workbook with the ability to obfuscate the data, I would definitely do that.
Dashboard 1 ( Notice on the highlighted "Box" there are 20 Distinct Portal requests. I want those 20 requests to be represented in Dashbaord 2)
Dashboard 2 (this should only be the 20 requests in the selected "Box" from Dashboard1 )
This is how one of the worksheets work. This specific one is for Server (Failed) as represented in Dashboard 1. Note: There is nothing on either the row or column shelf.
Actually. I was able to recreate something with the same underlying concepts in Superstore. I modified the original post to include the SuperStore packaged workbook. Note, I did not replicate everything that is going on, just enough to illustrate the issue:
In this replicated version I have a State Filter to represent one of the 4 quadrants in my above pictures. For example, I chose Wisconsin which would be our (Server Failed) dashboard.
Sub-Category would be our ServerName
Number of records would be the equivalent of Distinct count of Portal Requests.
In the SuperStore version If I click on Accessories, I want Dashboard 8 to display all Product IDs in Wisconsin. This is the same data if you were to click "View Data", and then "Full Data". In this case, 14 records for Wisconsin.
Instead; I get All Accessories negating the state filter.
This is the same thing happening to me in my original problem. If I click on a box in Server(failed) for say, server ABC. I get ALL records for that server, not just the Server (failed) records.
so in the super store example, it works if I put state on to detail on sheet 22 (treemap) and does not break the viz (because there is only one state in the viz)
If I am understanding the comparison between the sample and your actual data, this would be akin to putting [Success Status] on detail (again the viz is filtered to only one status (Failed or success with your other viz) so this shouldn't break the treemap) then you have Success Status on both dashboards and it should work.
Hopefully this explanation makes sense I have 10.1 so if I re-post the workbook, you won't be able to open it in 10.0
Let me know if this works or if I am missing something in how your data is structured.