2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 1:23 PM by Nathan Panuco

Tableau server data source showing up as Extract as well as Live on Server

Vishal Jethwa

Hi,

I've noticed something odd. I have a workbook published on a site with 2 Tableau Server data sources. When I try and view the data source on there server by Site --> Content --> Data Sources --> [Click on data source] --> Data Connection, it shows up as an extract and I am able to refresh it. If i access the same data source through this route Content --> Workbooks --> [Click on workbook] --> Data Sources the same one shows up as LIVE under the LIVE/Last extract column and I am unable to refresh it from there. but if i then click on the data source name, I can then see what I saw the first time and see that it is an extract. Any idea why it might be showing it as a Live data source?

Any Ideas? Toby Erkson Jeff Strauss

• 1. Re: Tableau server data source showing up as Extract as well as Live on Server
          Jeff Strauss

it's a really good question, and perhaps there's a really good explanation.  Let me know if this makes sense.

From a workbook perspective, anytime that the extract is EMBEDDED within the workbook, Tableau Server will be able to discern this and tell you it's an extract.  And anytime that the workbook has a data pointer to a shared location (independent of whether it be a database or published datasource), it will show LIVE.

Example 1: The extracted data is integral to the specific workbook as it is EMBEDDED.

Example 2: My Admin_Capacity_Mgmt workbook has 5 datasources, they all show LIVE because none of the data exists within the workbook, rather the workbook has pointers to where the data lives.  In this case, 3 of them are published datasources, and 2 of them are postgres databases.

And when I click on the first datasource, it shows that the datasource connects to SQL Server and the data was last extracted at 3:03 today.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau server data source showing up as Extract as well as Live on Server
            Nathan Panuco

The datasource published to the Tableau Server is an extract of a database. The connection in the workbook is a live connection to that published datasource. The labeling can be confusing sometimes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful