8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 11:08 AM by dipti.patel.2

Limiting the data for the year selected on filter selected

dipti.patel.2

I have a workbook with live connection where I have a year as parameter that is currently showing the three year as 2017,2016,2015.

I use this parameter in my custom sql to limit the data based on the year selected by the user as each year has about half million rows and in live to pull all the three years would be a lot of data.

Now we are embedding the workbook view in a web application and we need it live as it needs to reflect some of the values that the user would update in those tables as well so we need it live connection and need to pull only one year data based on the year selected by the user due to the large data and live connection.

So now our problem is that since parameters are static lists, so when the new year  data say 2018 is added how do we have the parameters update and show it in the Year as filter ( as parameter is the filter here).

Would it be that at the year end we would need to do it as a maintenance activity to update the parameter to show 2018 as a year ? Or are there ways around it as well.

Need any inputs on it as it a show stopper in deciding to use tableau or not.

In the past I have done it as a maintenance activity to update the parameter, but it was for a handful of reports only, where as in this scenario its for large number of them.