2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 10:16 AM by Justin Pulley

Is Tableau Capable of 3 things on a single chart without funky results?

Justin Pulley

That is a sample of what I need to do.  Two counts side by side with a running average line chart over the top.  So far whenever I attempt anything like this it gives me 3 columns and the line is just a dot with no connection for the line part.  Is this something that is not possible in tableau? 

• 1. Re: Is Tableau Capable of 3 things on a single chart without funky results?
          Justin Pulley

I guess I also need to say that usually the data in the columns can be from 2 different years.  So for instance the Cars could be cars 2016 and then I want to put cars 2017 next to it.  Then I might want to have two line charts that are the same measure, but from 2016 and 2017.  All on the same chart.

• 2. Re: Is Tableau Capable of 3 things on a single chart without funky results?
            Justin Pulley

Maybe my chart above wasn't good enough to show what I am trying to get tableau to do, So I have done my best to sanitize my data and post an example:

I am trying to get tableau to display two years of data restarting on the year, but stacked side by side on the columns with two lines for whatever running measure I am using.

In the case above I have the count of builds by month for 2016 and 2017 side by side and then a running average of work orders (tickets) per build as the lines restarting on the year.

Can Tableau do this?  I know it can do this and show a new pane for the next year, but I am looking to get this specific kind of visual.  This is the only visual I need to do this with as well.  I would obviously have to lock the filters to previous year and this year and I am sure I could find a way to deal with the 0's or not.

I am guessing the reason tableau can't/doesn't do this is because it has no way to deal with having 0 values in a given month from one year and not the other and still showing them.