3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 9:59 AM by Sarah Battersby

Three Maps on a Dashboard (Or Map Pan-damonium)

Michelle Kosmicki

I have three rather lovely zip code maps. The zip codes map out different marketing variables used in planning and tracking performance. Each zip code is connected to a "Store ID". When I choose a store ID, each map zooms in to the location of that store, and shows data for the zip codes connected to that store.  However, if a dashboard user should pan around in any one of the three maps, or zoom in or out, the other two maps will not "move" or "pan" with the one map moved by the user.  Causing Map Pan-damonium.

In order to restore order to my universe...or at least to the maps in question...I need to find a way to make the maps move with each other like a small group of synchronized swimmers. I've tried using parameters as suggested in a post I found when searching for a solution. It did not work for this dashboard. I really don't want to have to plot every zipcode on a static map so I can X,Y my way through the zip code pool.

I forgot to mention, three separate data sets too. :-)

Any ideas from the brain trust of Tableau users out there?

(This is how the map looks when you first open the planning tool.)

Before you ask, no I cannot attach a workbook. It's client sensitive data so I am unable to share. Superstore may be a good substitute though.

Michelle

• 1. Re: Three Maps on a Dashboard (Or Map Pan-damonium)
          Tom W

Michelle Kosmicki wrote:

Before you ask, no I cannot attach a workbook. It's client sensitive data so I am unable to share. Superstore may be a good substitute though.

Michelle

It's always easier for us to help with a Tableau packaged workbook, even it's just a sample built of the Sample Superstore data which allows us to replicate.

• 2. Re: Three Maps on a Dashboard (Or Map Pan-damonium)
            Michelle Kosmicki

I know Tom. If you have an intern I can borrow I'll get right on recreating this with Superstore.

M

• 3. Re: Three Maps on a Dashboard (Or Map Pan-damonium)
              Sarah Battersby

Just wanted to put out the answer I posed for this problem in the Maps 'Ask Us Anything' forum in case it helps other people with the same problem...

I've been thinking about your problem with the synced pan and zoom maps and I wonder if this solution that I just tried with Superstore would work if you really need pan/zoom on the maps...

My test data: I split the superstore data into three separate parts to mimic the three datasets that you said you had

Tableau version: 10.2 (because it's easier to set up the full outer joins)

In Tableau:

1. Full outer join on the three datasets in Tableau
              2. Created calculated fields for the postal code, dataset number, and attribute I wanted to map (I used the Sales measure in superstore).  I needed the calculated fields because with the full outer join on the three datasets I end up with three different postal code dimensions (one for each of the three datasets that I created) and have to have one single dimension that combines all three of these.  Why?  Because with the outer join only ONE of the postal code dimensions will be populated for each row, while the other two postal code fields will be empty, like this:

PostalCode-set1

PostalCode-set2

PostalCode-set3

PostalCode-calc

3. Mapped them as small multiple maps, using a field with the dataset name on columns.  With small multiples the maps will stay in sync (example below - highlight action shown to select marks across the panes based on zip code)

linked_maps.jpg

Does that get closer to what you are trying to do?

I have attached a twbx so that you can see how I did this.  It currently only has one action (highlight), but I think it should be possible to tweak the actions to work with what you need for your data.

-Sarah

Tableau Research