Hi Upendra. You no longer need to edit the source code for this: VizAlerts has supported PDF attachments since v1.1, thanks to Jonathan Drummey (the current version is 2.0.1). You will need to use Advanced Alerts and push them to your intended audience, but that's not too difficult. You can read about how to create and attach them in the User Guide.
I tried running the Advanced_alerts_demo provided and I got the alerts successfully, I get the following error while trying to create an advanced alert with PDF attachment on my viz.
The following errors were encountered trying to process your alert:
Unable to render content reference VIZ_PDF(AB/EF) with error:
HTTP error getting vizdata from url https://abc.efg.com/t/project/views/AB/EF?&:format=pdf&:refresh=y. Code: 404 Reason: Not Found
Can you please tell me what could be the reason
What version of Tableau Server are you running?
Try the following steps:
1) From the machine running VizAlerts start a web browser.
2) Login to Tableau Server using the VizAlerts user.
3) Paste in the URL from the error log. If that works then verify that you really followed steps #1 and #2, if after that verification you the URL works then there’s some unknown error going on. (I’m expecting this step to fail, it’s just here to check that steps #1 and #2 are correct).
4) Browse to the viz you are wanting to download. If you can’t browse to the viz then there’s likely a permissions issue that you’ll need to resolve.
5) Compare the URL in the browser for the viz vs. the URL from the error log. If that doesn’t point at exactly the problem that you can resolve, then go ahead and respond back here with your findings.
I’m suspecting there’s something about sites going on here but I’m not familiar enough with that to immediately diagnose the issue, what you find out would be useful.
Thanks for responding,
URL from error log is working (#3). How to test now ?
Tableau server version 10.1
Can you post your actual VizAlerts logs?
Were you able to get this issue resolved, Upendra?
Sorry for delay
Thanks Jonathan, that issue is resolved
I have a new issue with .pdf attachment,
I have an alert with VIZ_PDF(tabular viz), I don't get the entire data in my pdf, I just get a snapshot of what I see in my viz.
ex: viz has a tabluar data of 100 rows and I see only first 20 on my viz and for the remaining I had to scroll down the viz, In such case I'm getting only first 20 rows in PDF where as I get the entire data in CSV
1 of 1 people found this helpful
I’m guessing the view that you’re using as the content reference for VIZ_PDF() is a dashboard? If so you’ll have to change it to a worksheet. This is due to how Tableau renders PDFs of dashboards, it only renders based on what’s displayed on screen, so anything that is hidden away and accessible via scrollbar is not printed out.
If the viz is a dashboard, then can you send a screenshot of Tableau Desktop with the dashboard open so we can see the sizing of the dashboard?