1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 10:14 AM by Simon Runc

Dynamic Run Rate Calculations

Lou Willsea

New to the community, I have searched online and in here for an answer and not found an answer.

I have a sales history file with TY and LY data. It is built at the SKU level, but can roll up to a brand, supplier, category, etc. In Excel I use a pivot table calculated field to build a run rate (TY/LY) that maintains accuracy as I move to those various levels of data aggregation.

I have imported my data set into Tableau and attempted to do the same. However, at any level -- other than the lowest possible level of aggregation -- it appears to be summing up the individual run rates, and not giving me the actual one.

Is there a workaround for this? Building each level of aggregation as a separate data set is not an option.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Dynamic Run Rate Calculations
          Simon Runc

hi Lou,

So in Tableau you need to let it know that you want to do this as an aggregate calculation...

So it would be

SUM([TY])/ SUM([LY])

the same goes for Margin, Rate of Sales (Units per Store per Week)...well any ratio.

The nice thing in Tableau, is that you have the option...eg. you could use [TY]/[LY], which would be a Row Level calculation, and then put these in bins, and count the products (so you'd get bins with, say, 0-10% Growth, 10-15% growth...etc. (I'm being positive and we don't get negative YoY products!!...but you can, of course have negative bins too).

Hope that helps and makes sense.