2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 12:59 PM by Glen Robinson

Dashboard deployment Tableau 10 when using a proxy

jarrod smithers

Hi,

We have our on premise Tableau deployed behind a proxy. The data source the dashboards connect to is also behind a proxy within the same internal network. When dashboards are created on the desktop client then the external connection string used is different from the internal name once the dashboard is committed to the server. As this is a common setup in enterprises how do we setup an automatic conversion of that connection string on publishing the dashboard to the server?

i.e Clients use www.tableau10database.company.plc

server uses internaldatabase.company.plc

Thanks

• 1. Re: Dashboard deployment Tableau 10 when using a proxy
          Toby Erkson

jarrod smithers wrote:

...how do we setup an automatic conversion of that connection string on publishing the dashboard to the server?

i.e Clients use www.tableau10database.company.plc

server uses internaldatabase.company.plc

There isn't a way (easy or hard) that I know of.  You may want to contact Tableau Support for help on this.  Let us know what you find out

• 2. Re: Dashboard deployment Tableau 10 when using a proxy
            Glen Robinson

Hi Jarrod,

My suggestion (though its not great) is to add an entry to the Tableau Server's HOSTS file so that this is used by the server for the name resolution.

If you open the Hosts file (in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and add the following entry

Tableau10database.company.plc     aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address that you use for internaldatabase.company.plc

This means that when the server looks up the address for Tableau10database, it will receive the IP Address for the internaldatabase

and point to it.

Hope this makes sense (and works for you)

All the best

Glen

1 of 1 people found this helpful