1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 3:07 AM by David Jenkinson

MySQL custom sql tableau online sync client issue

David Jenkinson

Folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm running Tableau Desktop 10.1.5 and publishing to Tableau Online. I have hit a problem with the Tableau Online Sync Client. Through experimentation I have managed to narrow down the issue. Here's what I've done that was successful and then the thing that is not working.

1) Success - connect to a MySQL server\database, drag a table from the table list and verify that I can see the data. Publish the data source via Tableau desktop enabling the refresh option. Set up a refresh schedule to sync from my PC. Go to Tableau Online Sync Client. Initially the new data source has an exclamation mark and needs me to provide the username\password. When I do this and test the connection it works fine and the data source refreshes. Perfect - as expected!

2) Failure - connect to the same MySQL server\database, drag "custom sql" from the table list and write "select * from tablename" (where tablename is the same table used in the first example). Verify that I can see the data. Publish the data source via Tableau desktop enabling the refresh option. Set up a refresh schedule to sync from my PC. Go to Tableau Online Sync Client. Initially the new data source has an exclamation mark and needs me to provide the username\password. When I provide the credentials it tells me I have provided an incorrect username\password and thus I cannot refresh the data source.

What on earth is happening? I assume this is a bug with "custom sql"?

Any advice would be great. I raised a case with the Tableau Support Portal but I've been waiting all day and it appears nobody has even looked at it. I'm wasting days experimenting to resolve this. I can't build out my production config until I have confidence that there is a degree of reliability in this product.

Regards

David.

• 1. Re: MySQL custom sql tableau online sync client issue
          David Jenkinson

I did some more experimentation for when you get the error about "incorrect username\password" when you hit the "test connection" button in Tableau Online Sync Client for a custom sql data source. Turns out that if you ignore the message and click save "to save the credentials you just entered", the datasource will refresh successfully. So it seems the problem is just with the "test connection" button rather than the actual refresh itself.

It still needs fixing in my opinion but at least it's not a total showstopper as I'd first thought.

Regards

David.