10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 3:52 AM by Kuldip Bhatt Branched from an earlier discussion.

Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?

Kuldip Bhatt

Thanks it's very useful to understand about tableau server.

I had one question.......... Does number of sites does affect the Tableau server performance ?

Thanks,

Kuldip Bhatt

• 1. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
          Toby Erkson

Very easy answer:  No.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
            Madhusudhan Khambham

Toby Erkson

But it will have Maintenance/operational issues correct. Say if i have 50 sites..we need to allocate some diskspace, and also the number of extracts its going to run..we have to deal with many things

if we actual have more number of sites. Correct?

Could  you please share your experiences here ? it will help us in understanding how the industry is using sites concept/feature.

Any comments on it Toby?

Thanks

Madhu K

• 3. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
              Nathan Panuco

It will take more personnel to run 50 sites with 1 extract each vs 1 site with 50 extracts. However for system resources - it does not increase the load to have additional sites. Sites are just ways to segment permissions and authentication.The disk space is not allocated on site creation, it's a quota threshold to limit the size a site can grow to.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                Jeff Strauss

I think what Toby means is that the mere creation of a site does not adversely affect performance or server capacity.  It's just a definition within the internal PG repository.

Yes, of course there are operational aspects that can have an influence on performance and capacity, but this even applies even if you have 1 site.

There are varying opinions on the # of sites to allocate.  Some companies allocate distinct sites for each business unit.  We don't, we feel this is wrong as it creates siloes as there is no sharing of content (i.e. published datasources) across sites.  Instead we use projects and logically align permissions to projects.  There are a few exceptions where we use sites (i.e. external client access has it's own distinct site), but for the most part we use projects.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                  Andrew Macey

Having multiple sites, each having thousands of site-users that mostly overlap with each other will make your repository user tables much larger, resulting in poor query performance when joining those tables with other repository tables (like in Tableau's own admin views).

Say I have 10k users that I need to add to each of 10 sites, I'd end up with 100k records in the repository's user table. A single site would have only resulted in 10k user records. In my environment, separate sites gives me the control I need, even though there are some negative side-effects.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                    Kuldip Bhatt

Thanks everyone for your reply ........... we had 140+ sites and we are loading some Tableau reports for every sites so we need to publish some workbooks to every sites that is use in web application.

We are planning to get 50-100 concurrent users between this 140 sites ........... so we are doing load testing but we are getting average 30-40 seconds to loading workbook for 140 sites and 50 concurrent user in 8 core processor............So i need to find root cause of the bad performance.

We are using custom SQL to load data from Microsoft SQL server ......... let me know if you had any thoughts on that.

• 7. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                      Russell Christopher

Hi Kuldip -

You may be approaching this the wrong way. When a  viz is slow in Tableau Server, the issue generally isn't the Server, or the way you've configured it: It's mostly the viz itself.

So, focus on the viz. Try all these things and let us know the "number" you get from each:

• When you execute the Dashboard on Tableau Desktop against SQL Server, how quickly does it run?
                      • If you install Tableau Desktop on the Server and run the viz using Desktop on the Server, how quickly does it run?
                      • If you execute the viz manually in Tableau Server by placing :refresh=yes at the end of the URL to the viz (Parameters for Embed Code) for more details, how long does it take?

As a rule of thumb, if the answer to either of the "Desktop" questions is 10-ish seconds or more - you may already be too slow. The customer won't accept the dashboard. You'll need to re-work it.

You mentioned that you use custom SQL. Generally, custom SQL *is* evil in Tableau unless you're using Extracts. Suggest you read the "Designing Efficient Workbooks" whitepaper too.

Other questions:

• What happens when you point TabJolt at one of the Tableau Sample Workbooks? How long do they take and how many concurrent users can you get?
                      • WHICH Load Test are you using, and how are you setting up Think Time in the test? If you're not sticking think time in, your test is not valid as you are driving WAY more load than the 50-100 you may have configured the test for.
                      2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                        Glen Kendell

But don't overlook the platform.  Is this running in the cloud or on your hardware?  If your hardware, please describe the server and disk config and the environment you're running it in.

• 9. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                          Mark Wu

Pls read my recent post about site @ SCALING TABLEAU (4/10) – USE SITES - Silicon Valley Enterprise Tableau User Group

For Kuldip, you may want to use TabMon to check out CPU% to understand if you should add more cores.  Site should not affect perf although I will try not to create more than 30 sites on my server that has 20K users.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Do the number of Sites affect Tableau Server performance?
                            Kuldip Bhatt

Thanks for feedback it's very useful input we will try and test like that get back here and post comment on that.