2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 10:31 AM by Christopher Fitzgerald

Action Filter - Keep Associated Groups

Christopher Fitzgerald

Hello,

I'm having difficulty with an action filter and have attached a sample workbook.  Essentially my data set contains aggregated actions by individuals and action type (orders by id and order type).  What I want to occur on the dashboard is when selecting an individual on the Orders by ID aggregated viz the Order Type viz will filter to include any Order Types that individual contributed to.  In the workbook example clicking on ID 1 in the Orders by ID viz will filter the Order Type viz to only show Order Types A, B, & C.  However I still want the other IDs present on the Order Type viz.  Basically I don't want the second viz filtered by ID but by any Order Type that the selected ID has a record for.

I'm sure there's a simple enough solution but I can't seem to think of it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Action Filter - Keep Associated Groups
          Stephen Shepperd

Hey Christopher,

There are two things we need to do in order for this to work.

1. Create an action filter that has a Target Filter for [Order Type]
          2. Add [Order Type] to the Orders by ID worksheet so the action can work

1. Create an action filter that has a Target Filter for [Order Type]

• On the dashboard, click "Dashboard" on the top toolbar and select actions
          • Select "Add Action >"
          • Check the box next to "Orders by ID" in the top box, check "Order Type" in the bottom box, and have the action run on "Select"
          • Under the Target Filters section, select the "Selected Fields" radio button and click "Add Filter..."
          • Make both fields [Order Type]
          • You'll probably get a warning that Order Type is a missing field on the "Orders by ID" sheet. That leads us to our next step.

2. Add [Order Type] to the Orders by ID worksheet so the action can work

• On the "Orders by ID worksheet", drag [Order Type] to Detail

Now, on the dashboard, if you click on the actual ID number (not the bar) it should filter the "Order Type" sheet to see the Order Types that are attributed to the Order ID while till including the other IDs on the box plot.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Action Filter - Keep Associated Groups
            Christopher Fitzgerald

Unfortunately adding the Order Type to the Detail of Orders by ID messes far too much with my actual viz and I'm concerned users of the dashboard will try clicking the bars and not the row header.  I should have specified that that particular solution would be problematic.  On another note adding Order Type to the Orders by ID viz creates a stacked horizontal bar chart in my viz (segmented at 5 & 35 below) and I noticed in your image that the bars aren't segmented by Order Type.  Is that just an issue with the image itself?