3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 5:51 PM by Deepak Rai

Default colors revert to existing colors when overwriting published datasource

Mark Gemmell

I have a published datasource.    I keep a local copy which I edit, and periodically publish again, overwriting the original.

Sometimes I update the default color settings of a field.  When if I do this, the color settings get reverted when I overwriting the version on Tableau Server.  (reverted to whatever was on the server before the publish)

This does not happen on all fields.  So far I have experienced it only a dimension that returns one of several other fields based on a parameter.  As such its domain members change as the parameter is changed.  Perhaps this is significant?

It also happens without publishing.  I can save the datasource locally, and then save the workbook locally, and the last color change I made to the field is lost. 

But...  ...I can't share the datasource as it contains sensitive information, and I can't recreate the issue with the Superstore workbook.  :-(  

Any suggestions what I can do to try to isolate the cause?  

There is one custom color palette in my local tableau settings, but I never use it.

• 1. Re: Default colors revert to existing colors when overwriting published datasource
          Tim Hughes

Hi Mark,

When you assign default colors to your parameter-driven dimension, do you assign colors for the domain produced by the current parameter value, click OK, select the next parameter value, assign colors for this domain, and repeat until you've assigned colors for each parameter selection?

Thanks,

Tim

• 2. Re: Default colors revert to existing colors when overwriting published datasource
            Mark Gemmell

Yes, that's what I was doing.   I didn't always assign every value individually, as that includes 200+ country names.

In case it made a difference, I edited the field (knowing I could later change it back) so all the field values were in the domain at once

//All values in domain at once

CASE DATEPART('day',[Date])

WHEN 1 THEN [Service Name]

WHEN 2 THEN [Channel]

WHEN 3 THEN [Service Type]

WHEN 4 THEN [Product Name]

WHEN 5 THEN [Location (P:)]

END

//Original calc:

//CASE [Parameters].[Revenue Segmentation]

//    WHEN "Individual Service" THEN [Service Name]

//    WHEN "Channel" THEN [Channel]

//    WHEN "Service Type" THEN [Service Type]

//    WHEN "Product" THEN [Product Name]

//    WHEN "Location" THEN [Location (P:)]

//END

But even then when I published the datasource to the server, color values still reverted. 

• 3. Re: Default colors revert to existing colors when overwriting published datasource
              Deepak Rai

Hi Mark,

Have you tried this way.

• You publish your datasource once.
              • You create your workbook  using published datasource and finalize all colors.
              • Also, now you also got a new local copy of data now which you publish to datasource replacing your old datasource or updating it if you are using shared drive.
              • Now, you replace the datasource in your workbook with the newly published data source.
              • Colors  and filters will stay when you would this.

Thanks

Deepak