6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 5:12 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau

Cecilia Mahdi

After working on setting up panel/trellis charts for patients' weights and getting assistance from one of the Tableau Community Group users (very appreciative of her assistance), I have attached an updated sample Tableau workbook that provides sample charts that have been generated and worked on at this time.  The last chart is based on assistance received from the Tableau Community Group user in which the display of the data is a little better, but there is additional work that needs to be done to make it complete.  Therefore, I am submitting a new post to reach out to the Tableau Community Users Group for additional assistance.

After continuing researching and viewing other examples and sample work, I really feel that I can make this work and be able to view patients' weight data in a panel/trellis chart.  I'm also trying to set up a header for each box where it will display the patient ID above the chart data.  In the attached sample workbook, the "Sample2_AgeInDays_NotWorking" chart displays the actual weight data points for each patient by patient ID.  However, it doesn't seem to work out too well when trying to set up the panel or grid-like feature to display the overall data.  Right now, the data is displayed in uneven columns, no rows.  So it would be nice to get this data in a grid-like or panel-style fashion.

The "Sample3_AgeInDays_GettingCloser" chart in the workbook is based on assistance received from the Tableau Community Group user.  The display of the data is a little better.  The display gives the appearance that there may be some weights data missing from patients.  If I filter on just one patient, in this case Patient ID 1, I am able to see the five weights data.  But when I filter the entire dataset, then it looks like the weight data points are "bunched" together.  So I'm wondering if I need to change the Y-axis and X-axis to spread out the data points.  The X-axis needs some work where it needs to show the actual "age in days" values as compared to the "days (alternate)" values used as "fix" and recommendation from the assistance received from the Tableau Community Group user.

So if someone can look over the attached sample workbook and provides some suggestions on what I need to do to get the display to look more polished and complete, your help is truly appreciative.

• 1. Re: Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Cecilia,

Maybe my previous explanation was poor.

What I'd like to say was a certain patient has 83 data points.  Other has only 5.

When talking about "days", the range becomes way wider.

You can not control the width of X-axis by patients with this type of view.

Then you cannot plot all the patients plot appropriately at same time in the entire view.

Counter Proposal is to ignore the "Age in Days" in X-Axis.

Instead, plot the dots across X-Axis in respective patients' area evenly.  Like below.

[Count by ID]

{fixed [Patient ID]:count([Recorded Time])}

[INDEXINDEX]

[index()]/attr([Count by ID])

With this, each recording time is spread into 0- 1 for respective Patient.

You can not compare thru column with other Patients because date range is different,

but still can see respective patient's growth curve without considering actual date range.

"Age in Days" is only available thru tooltips.

Talking about Patients Label, one idea is create dual axis with synchronized axis, then plot Max only with last()=0,

[Max Weight]

if last()=0 then attr({fixed :max([Weight])}) end

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau
            Cecilia Mahdi

Thanks so much Shin for assisting me.  I was able to incorporate some of the tips you provided.  On another note, I noticed that I have several “boxes” or panel cells that are empty or blank (based on another set of data I’m reviewing).  For example, data appears in the first box and second boxes. The third box is empty and then the fourth box appears with data.  There are some patients that do not have weights or records at all, but it appears as a blank box in the chart.  Is there a way around this to only show those patients with weight records only? I can tell that the columns are counting numerically so if a patient ID is 3 (for example) and it does not have any weight records, a blank box appears in that 3rd position. Does this make sense? 

Thanks for your help.  Any additional assistance is appreciate.

• 3. Re: Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau
              Shinichiro Murakami

To avoid empty patient ID, Do something like this.

isnull({fixed [Patient ID]:sum([Weight])})

Only filtering "False"

This may work already, but to make sure other thing are OK, make filter to context filter.

Thanks,

Shin

• 4. Re: Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau
                Cecilia Mahdi

Did you use a calculated field called "Filter" or how did you set up the "Filter: False" field?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau
                  Cecilia Mahdi

Hello Shin:

I apologize for any confusion.  Did you use a calculated field called “Filter” or how did you set up the “Filter:False” field?

Thanks.

The information contained in this electronic mail message may be confidential and protected information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  As the recipient of this information you may be prohibited by State and Federal law from disclosing this information to any other party without specific written authorization from the individual to whom it pertains. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and destroy the message and its attachments.

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

• 6. Re: Need Additional Assistance with Panel/Trellis Charts in Tableau
                    Shinichiro Murakami

Sorry for the late reply.

You can see the attachment.

[Filter]

isnull({fixed [Patient ID]:sum([Weight])})