1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 8:46 PM by Tharashasank Davuluru

Build Star Schema and SnowFlake Schema Using Tableau

pramod phole

I am New to tableau i want to know how to build star schema and Snowflake schema in Tableau.

I Loading 3 different Data Files.

1.xml

2.CSV

3.excel

and am performing some actions on this data files.

Join.

Filter.

Query

to this Above Data Files. and now i want to build Star Schema and Snowflake Schema using tableau can i build this please help me to understand.

Thank You.

Regards

Pramod Phole.

• 1. Re: Build Star Schema and SnowFlake Schema Using Tableau
          Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi pramod,

i want to build Star Schema and Snowflake Schema using tableau can i build this please help me to understand?

In Tableau we dont have option to do data modelling .You can perfrom the data modelling at your data base end and then you can connect those datewarehouse with tableau.You cannot create any new table in Tableau. You can connect to the existing tables. So unfortunately, you would have to do this in database only and then connect to these tables in Tableau and join them

In tableau you just connect to existing data sources, there's no need to build a star schema within the product. If connecting to a database you could just write a SELECT statement to bring in the data you want or you could just connect to each table and join them within Tableau

What type of data model should we use with Tableau?

Traditionally, dimensional data models or star schemas have been used in a data warehouse to serve the purposes of integrating data from different sources and improving the performance of analytical queries.  With Tableau’s data engine, we may or may not need a dimensional model in order to support our analysis depending on whether we are using In-Memory Data or a Direct Connection and considering Performance and Data Integration objectives..

Star Schema or No Star Schema? That is the (Tableau) Question.

Thanks,

Tharashasank

1 of 1 people found this helpful