4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 1:06 PM by vineeth v

Tableau Server Specific site usage

vineeth v

Hello Fellow admin's

I need your inputs for one of my analysis.

We have a 8-core license server and have lot of site created. Now we are trying to analyze how much amount of server a particular site is using. We have created the custom admin views and looking in to the reports.

One thing we are trying to get is how much percentage of total server usage is used by a particular site. Let's assume we need a metric like Site A is using 35% of total server usage or site A is using 4 cores of 8 cores.

We have metric for individual parts, like space usage per site, or number of users per site, or number of views per site etc.But , my question is how do we conclude on what all factors needs to considered on what percentage of server is used by a SITE.

Any input will be very helpful.

Regards

Vineeth

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Specific site usage
          Glen Kendell

I would suggest you look less at content and more at data refresh.  Content viewing is light on CPU.  Data refresh is heavy on CPU.  In fact, I would ignore content altogether and instead focus entirely on data sources as the sole criteria for determining usage by site. That is, the size of the data sources as one metric and aggregate refresh time as another.  This is a better reflection of actual usage of the system and would serve as a better benchmark of how many sites your server can handle.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server Specific site usage
            vineeth v

Thanks Glen,

Yes i will try to put more emphasis on Data refresh.

One more question, We currently have a 8 core license server, so there is no restriction on number users to be added. Is there any range of users recommended, or does the user count have an impact of server performance.

Currently we are trying to see how many more users can be added, before we should start adding worker servers.

Regards

Vineeth

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Specific site usage
              Glen Kendell

We also have a 8 core license server.

Simply adding sites and users won't impact performance per se, It really depends how it's all being used. With a 8 core server and light usage, you could support hundreds of sites and thousands or even tens of thousands of users. Or if usage is heavy you may find your 8 core server can handle no more than a couple dozens sites with a couple hundred users.

Different worker processes help with different things. You should add more when you need them, but only when you need them.

Did you know that you can have 3 environments with your 8 core server license?  In addition to production, you can also have a dev environment and a staging environment. Set those up and do some testing!

Cheers,

Glen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau Server Specific site usage
                vineeth v

Thanks again Glen

Yes, we are having dev and staging environment setup along with production.

Sure i will try to look into usage in terms of Data and refreshes.

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards

Vineeth