2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 6:58 AM by Sunil Tikar

Execution mode - Tableau Schedule

Sunil Tikar

Hello ,

Should be @ simple questions however many  - I was looking at execution mode available while creating tableau schedule ( Extract refresh/subscription ) . So thought to learn its basics .

There are two modes  available

a. Parallel - Use all available background process for this schedule

b. Serial - Limit this schedule to one Background process .

Now let me explain my questions with example -

• I created a schedule S1 on tableau server with task type as Extract refresh with execution mode as Parrallel daily at 7 AM . Now a site user opt for it to use this scheudle to refresh his/her extract refresh at 7AM everyday .so now we have a task attached to this S1 let's call it as T1 .Now Keep in mind I have 4 Backgrounder process running on my server cluster lets name these process BG1 ,BG2,BG3 & BG4 (below diagram )

so my question is when next day clock reach to 7 AM ,will T1 processed by only one of Background process like BG1 OR BG2 OR BG3 OR BG4( because BG is a single threaded process)   or by all backgrounder process will work together to process T1 like  BG1 AND BG2 AND BG3 AND BG4.? ( because we selected it to run parrallel)

• Now second scenario - I created a schedule S1 on tableau server with task type as Extract refresh with execution mode as serial . Now 2 different users opted for that schedule to refresh their data at 7 AM. So now we have 2 tasks attached to this S1 Schedule let's call these tasks as T1 & T2 .Now keeping in mind above diagrame

My question is when next day clock reach to 7 AM ,

a . will T1 & T2 both get executed simluteniously as we have 4 backgrounder process so likewise T1 will process by BG1 and T2 will get process by BG2 ?

OR

b. WIll T1 process first as we selected serial execution ? If yes then will all the Backgrounder process (BG1,BG2,BG3&BG4) T1 or only one of BG process will process it and once T1 completed T2 will get proccessed .

• Third scenario - I created 2 schedules S1 and S2 and both are extract refresh schedule, now assume S1 has T1,T2 & T3 tasks and S2 has Ta,Tb & Tc tasks and both are schedule to run next day at 7 AM ( consider S1 is daily and S2 is weekly at 7 AM)

My question is -

a. How these tasks T1,T2,T3,Ta,Tb & Tc will process on BG1,BG2,BG3& BG4 when execution mode of S1 & S2 is Serial

b. How these tasks T1,T2,T3,Ta,Tb & Tc will process on BG1,BG2,BG3& BG4 when execution mode of S1 & S2 is Parrallel.

The specified item was not found.

• 1. Re: Execution mode - Tableau Schedule
          Jeff Strauss

Sunil, thanks for being so detailed.  Does the below suffice?

Scenario 1: T1 will be processed by only one of the available backgrounder processes.

Scenario 2: Because you setup the schedule to run serially, the tasks will run one at a time.  The sequence of them is based on a variety of factors with the highest order given to the task priority.  If you setup the schedule to run parallel, then T1 and T2 will leverage 2 of the available backgrounders.

Scenario 3: If both S1 and S2 are setup to run parallel, then 4 out of 6 of the tasks will fill the active backgrounders and 2 of them will be queued up to wait for an available backgrounder.  If you setup both S1 and S2 to run serial, then only 2 of the backgrounders are going to be leveraged.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Execution mode - Tableau Schedule
            Sunil Tikar

Nice,clean & robust answer!!!