9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 9:31 PM by tushar.m

Postgres Database

tushar.m

Hi Talented people,

Please help me.

Is it possible to replace postgres database used by Tableau server by some another database? If yes, anyone can please explain me the process of doing it.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Postgres Database
          Jeff Strauss

no.  Postgres is the built-in internal database for Tableau Server.  And it's bundled in with the Tableau installation process.

• 2. Re: Postgres Database
            Jeff Strauss

moved this thread to the server admin forum.

• 3. Re: Postgres Database
              Toby Erkson

No.

Why do you want to do this?

• 4. Re: Postgres Database
                tushar.m

Hi Toby,

Our client wants to go for it. They've a concern "what if postgres database fails".

Does tableau provide support for it?

• 5. Re: Postgres Database
                  Jeff Strauss

I see.  Postgres is open source, FYI many internal components of Tableau are open source.  Another example is the cache engine is Redis.  Bottom line is that if an internal component of Tableau fails (i.e. Postgres), then it's Tableau's responsibility to address it because it's bundled in with the software.  But generally, things have been stable with Postgres and if they were not, then it would be affecting 1000's of companies.  If you want more info about this, then talk with your account rep or Tableau support.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Postgres Database
                    Toby Erkson

Okay.

Tableau does have support, it's part of the maintenance support cost.  Their concern is -- bluntly put -- invalid.  The "What if...?" game can be over-played so only reasonable scenarios should be considered.  How do they define "fails"? -- rhetorical question, no need to answer...so even if it did, would the db admin (not the server admin) have the rights to manipulate the tables?  Know what table changes to make?  No, because they don't have access to the code that does this AND it would invalidate any support Tableau could officially supply because of the manual intervention   They would quite possibly do more harm than good.

I work with DBAs and they are not the gods they think they are (but they are funny )

It may help if you explain to them that all major BI software relies upon specific software for a reason and it's not a simple task to change the underlying processes to a completely different platform.  Their concern for support is valid and I have no complaints with it as a Tableau Server Administrator.  Having a decent administrator with good trouble-shooting/analytical & customer support skills is more important than the brand of underlying database being used.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Postgres Database
                      Matt Coles

I see two possible questions here, I'm not sure which was meant.

1. What happens if the specific instance of PostgreSQL used by Tableau Server fails somehow (goes down, stops responding, etc)?

In this case, the built-in High Availability feature in Tableau Server would detect the failure, then transfer responsibility to a secondary machine in your Tableau Server cluster that also runs PostgreSQL. After a few minutes of issues, the system should resume functioning correctly. You can read more about High Availability here: Configure for Failover and Multiple Gateways  (note the image at the bottom--the "Repository" process is PostgreSQL. The gray box is the passive node, and is what Tableau Server would switch in the event that the active node failed). There really is no reason not to always use High Availability, since standing up another host (technically two more) that just runs a Repository doesn't count towards core license costs.

2. What happens if the folks who built PostgreSQL stop supporting and improving their open-source database platform?

Others have tackled this earlier in the thread, but I'll chime in as well: This just isn't going to happen. Their platform is very widely used across major tech companies around the world. Many database technologies such as Amazon Redshift and our own Hyper have used code from PostgreSQL to implement their own projects. At this point there is so much riding on PostgreSQL that it's inconceivable that it won't be in active development for another ten years at least. And if it does go away, that doesn't break Tableau Server. It just means that we have to start vetting a new database technology to use for our metadata repository, and integrate that into our platform, test, release, etc. Standard stuff.

• 8. Re: Postgres Database
                        Jonathan Drummey

When I get questions like this I'll push back with a simple example by holding up my smartphone and point out that millions of lines of code in the smart phone come from on open source applications and libraries that are totally invisible to us users. (For example historically on iOS a number of applications used SQLite for local data stores). The developers of the delivered software (Apple for the phone itself and iOS, individual app developers) make sure the libraries and code they are using are dependable and when needed swap out technologies in ways that are also typically invisible to us end users (For example a later release of iOS Apple introduced the CoreData API and Apple for its apps and various app developers switched to using that without us users knowing).

The same goes for Tableau and Postgres, Redis, SOLR, and other tools it's been using over the years.

Jonathan

• 9. Re: Postgres Database
                          tushar.m

Thanks all for your wonderful explanation.