4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 9:57 PM by Alifia Akhtar Nice Software Solution

Tableau Server

Alifia Akhtar Nice Software Solution

1) In Tableau Server, under the Data connection tab> Refresh more often, when will the data be refreshed if I select this option? Will it be refreshed automatically or do we have to do it manually and at what time interval? (If it has to be done manually, how to do it?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) The cache in the server is saved in which of the following?

a) Browser cache

b) In memory

c) Hard disk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Can we configure our own database instead of Postgres database and if yes how to configure it?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server
          Donna Coles

Hi Alifia

Just to advise I have moved your question into the Server & Online Admin area as you're likely to get more responses from this area

Regards

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server
            Jonathan Drummey

1) The data will be refreshed whenever someone loads a view. My understanding is that this setting pretty much turns off all caching (however when the feature was introduced Tableau didn't do as much caching so I'm not 100% sure that it completely turns off all of Tableau's caching now).

2) Tableau Server has multiple in-memory caches, I'm not sure about how much might be on disk.

3) For a basic Tableau Server install there's no need to use the Postgres database, it's self-contained, so Tableau provides no ability to swap it out with something else. If you want to start doing more monitoring of your server then you'd turn on the readonly user and start using that, and of course people have found various hacks that involve manipulating what's in the Postgres database.

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Tableau Server
              Toby Erkson

Alifia Akhtar Nice Software Solution wrote:

1) In Tableau Server, under the Data connection tab> Refresh more often, when will the data be refreshed if I select this option? Will it be refreshed automatically or do we have to do it manually and at what time interval? (If it has to be done manually, how to do it?)

2) The cache in the server is saved in which of the following?

a) Browser cache

b) In memory

c) Hard disk

3) Can we configure our own database instead of Postgres database and if yes how to configure it?

Thanks in advance.

1. Based upon our experience all caching is turned off in the Tableau Server like what Jonathan suggests.  We have our Servers set up this way and this is our observation.  As such, "cache warming" is pointless for us (ignoring the big variance of data sources that wouldn't make this viable anyway).
              2. Memory for sure and I'm going to guess that it could be on hard disk (depends on size of cache & size of data).
              3. No.  Why do people want to do this?
              • 4. Re: Tableau Server
                Alifia Akhtar Nice Software Solution

Thank you so much for the help.