7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 12:19 PM by Joe Oppelt

Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.

sandeep.vana

Hi Geeks,

I have Dashboard 1 as the main page, where users can access the business information in a summary level and Dashboard 2(not a worksheet) is a drill down from Dashboard 1.

When published on the server users can access both of these Dashboards. However, User don’t want to see Dashboard 2 in the navigation page and in main page. I have 1 more dashboard to drill from Dashboard 2.

Please find the image and workbook attached.

• 1. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Sandeep,

When you publish the workbook to the server, you can select the worksheets/ Dashboards you want to show.

Thanks,

Shin

• 2. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
            sandeep.vana

With this you cant open the 2nd dashboard while drill down from dashboard 1.

For example, If user clicks on the Chart on dashboard 1 for a week, the drill dashboard will open for the selected week by daily.

Please attached

• 3. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
              Joe Oppelt

When you are in the Publish Workbook dialogue box, there is a check box at the bottom for "Show Sheets as Tabs".  Uncheck that, and you'll get no tabs like the one you circled in your original screen shot.  (Note:  I've seen threads about unwanted behavior when you turn this off.  I don't recall the issues though.  So give it a try and test it out and see how this behaves for you.)

As for not having the dashboard names listed on the views page ... I don't know how to stop that.

I always publish with tabs.  I just block access to dashboards when a user goes to a dashboard via the tab rather than via a filter action when a filter action is necessary.  There are some ways to know that the user didn't navigate via an action.  If that's what you're really trying to accomplish, we can discuss some things about that.

• 4. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
                Mike Brooks

Hi Joe and or Sandeep.Vana,

I am running into the same issue. I recently started using dashboard actions rather that asking our staff to just view the underlying data. I noticed that I have to publish the children dashboards along with the parent for the actions to work. I would like to prevent the children dashboards from showing up except when the staff drill down on one of the parent dashboard action filters.

Joe, you stated that you "block access to dashboards when a user goes to a dashboard via the tab rather than via a filter action when a filter action is necessary".

When I publish, I am not seeing a way to differentiate the permissions from sheet to sheet or dashboard to dashboard. How are you blocking access?

I am using Tableau 10 desktop and server currently.

Permissions.PNG

• 5. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
                  Joe Oppelt

Mike -- I don't use permissions to hide a dashboard.  (I'm not aware of a permission that does that.)

I pop out a sheet to cover the dashboard when someone shouldn't be there.

Attached is a V8.2 example.  In Dashboard1, if the parameter in the upper right is set to 2, when someone goes to dashboard 2 he will only see the blocking sheet that prevents him from using the dashboard, and an action on that sheet forces him back to dashboard 1.

It's just a simple example.  You'll need to know what constitutes a proper (and detectable) condition on your second dashboard so that you can pop out the blocking sheet if necessary.

My recommendation is to start a new thread with a fresh question.

The real key to it is working out a way to detect a valid (or invalid) condition when you are on Dashboard2.

• 6. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
                    Mike Brooks

Thanks for the reply Joe,

I figured something out after watching a couple of videos you provided and reading through a few other places where you have posted. Thank you for the resources. One additional question, and if not appropriate here, I can definitely start a new thread. For my request, I did not really need to create other dashboards, I really just wanted to have a different sheet pop up to show the detailed data to avoid having my staff review the underlying data. My question relates to layering containers. If my core dashboard has all the summarized data and it is pushed all the way back (in a multi layered container scenario). Then I want a pop up to trigger based on a user clicking a visualization, which will act as a filter. I found that I cannot put the pop up over the visualization where they would trigger the pop up because container two is blocking access to container one when container 1 has the trigger and is pushed all the way back. I created a workaround by putting a trigger just outside of the space occupied by container 1 and container 2, but wonder if there is a way to achieve the desired effect without the workaround?

Thank you again,

Mike

• 7. Re: Hide Dashboards(not a worksheets) with in a workbook.
                      Joe Oppelt

Two ways to address that.

1)  Swap sheets instead of pop sheets on top of each other.  If you can detect that "Blocker Sheet" needs to pop out, then :Original Data Sheet" should also be able to detect that, and you would collapse the data sheet and expand the blocker sheet.  That's just basic sheet swapping.

But there is another thing that you can leverage to your advantage:

2) The behavior you are seeing (that the higher-floating container blocks the underlying container) manifests itself in Tableau Desktop, but when you publish it to the server your clicking reaches through the higher-floating containers.  It's a difference in the way HTML (published on the server) and Desktop handle the containers.  Since we publish all our stuff for user access and never have users access through Desktop, I leverage this behavior all over the place.  The only drawback for me is while I an designing/debugging/modifying those dashboards in Desktop.  Then it's a pain in the ****.  I either temporarily move the upper container(s) by changing a starting x- or y-coordinate to 2000 or something, or I temporarily float the underlying container to the top.