2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 5:49 PM by Madhusudhan Khambham

Initial SQL and Extract Sequencing/Order of Operation

Brandon Lang

I am trying to determine the order of operations for initial SQL and the extracts in a packaged workbook.

I have a handful of extracts that use a certain Teradata table I have built.  This table is updated each day with an insert statement that I would like to move from SSIS to Tableau's Initial SQL function.  However, since there are multiple extracts using this table I am trying to identify if I need to add the initial SQL insert statement to each extract's option (seems redundant and unnecessary CPU impact to the server), OR if Tableau completes ALL of the initial SQLs set prior to updating extracts on a full refresh?

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Initial SQL and Extract Sequencing/Order of Operation

Hey Brandon,

As each extract is created from its own connection to the database, I believe you'll need to run initial SQL on each one, the same way you would if you were connected to multiple DBs. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong however!

-Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Initial SQL and Extract Sequencing/Order of Operation
            Madhusudhan Khambham

Hi Brandon Lang

Please find my response.

However, since there are multiple extracts using this table I am trying to identify if I need to add the initial SQL insert statement to each extract's option (seems redundant and unnecessary CPU impact to the server),

[Madhu K] - Yes, We have to provide Initial SQL statement for all the extracts. Because,  While connecting to Teradata database we are providing this and extracting the data ,  publishing it to server.

So, each connection will be treated separately.

OR if Tableau completes ALL of the initial SQLs set prior to updating extracts on a full refresh?

[Madhu K] Yes, First it will run the Initial SQL only once for each connection/session and then the Custom SQL will extract the data and do the data refresh.

Happy to answer if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards

Madhu K

1 of 1 people found this helpful