5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 1:22 PM by Nathan Panuco

Usernames of Guest Users in Active Directory Authenticated Tableau Server

Su ve

Hi ,

We have request to collect all the Guest Users from Tableau Server.

Our Tableau Server uses Active Directory Authentication.

I have tried filtering the "Tableau Server (vizportal)" related Events from the Event Viewer in Windows Server 2012.

But I was stuck from getting the usernames from the Data tag through the Batch script into text or Excel file.

Has anyone tried this? Or is there an another way to achieve this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
      Suve

• 1. Re: Usernames of Guest Users in Active Directory Authenticated Tableau Server
          Jeff Strauss

Interesting thought, but isn't the whole idea of guest is that so they are not authenticated at all and therefore not tracked?  And the screenprint you provided is an ERROR from within the event viewer, I don't think this is associated to the guest viewing a report, we use guest to display a report on a TV in the office, and every time it refreshes, we don't have an entry in the event viewer.

• 2. Re: Usernames of Guest Users in Active Directory Authenticated Tableau Server
            Su ve

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

True. But we have request for getting the estimated no. of Unknown users hitting the server per day. If the same user is hitting the server on a daily basis, we no longer want him as a Guest User. Instead we can add him as a Licensed User on the Tableau Server so that we can track his activity and analyse the Day-to-Day activity on server which helps us to maintain the server in a better way.

In your case, I think to display the report on the TV, it need to be inside the company network. So I think it may be attached to some or the other username. So if you are not seeing the Error message in Event Viewer means that an authenticated Tableau Username is used to display the report.

I have verified with many Guest Users and found that for every unauthorized Tableau Server User access, we get a error generated in Event Viewer like the image shown above.

• 3. Re: Usernames of Guest Users in Active Directory Authenticated Tableau Server
              Nathan Panuco

I do not believe it is possible to track what you want with the features currently built into Tableau Server. The Guest User Account is not really a user nor is it really an account. When you add the Guest user, it's really just checking a box saying that when unauthenticated users go to this URL, they will still be able to see the view.

That being said, the error in the event viewer is recorded when a user attempts to log in and is denied. If you take that request ID (starts with WJIN) and search the HTTPd/Access logs, you'll likely find the entry for the user attempting to load the page and return a HTTP 401 code. See below:

Entry from Event Viewer:

2017-02-03 09:35:00.106 -0800 catalina-exec-3 - - ERROR requestId=WJS-QwocAiIAAAfU@60AAAFC: wgsessionId=- com.tableausoftware.domain.user.ADIdentityProvider - AD Logon failed with following message: The user name or password is incorrect.

Entry from Access Log:

::1 - - 2017-02-03 09:34:59.704 Pacific Standard Time 80 "POST /vizportal/api/web/v1/login HTTP/1.1" "-" 401 35 "370" 407022 WJS-QwocAiIAAAfU@60AAAFC

However your message looks a little different. Do you use SAML? I've seen this error when there are issues with the IdP not passing a valid Tableau Server username.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Usernames of Guest Users in Active Directory Authenticated Tableau Server
                Su ve

Nathan,

Thanks for the reply.

No we are not using the SAML.

The Error message I have posted above is generated through an Embedded view on a web page.

Note: We have configured for Automatic Login.

• 5. Re: Usernames of Guest Users in Active Directory Authenticated Tableau Server
                  Nathan Panuco

Hi Su:

It sounds like what is happening is that valid users are going to a embedded view and are being denied access because their username is not correct, resulting in them being served the "guest" page. This likely requires a deeper look into your log files to find out more information about the bad username. I would suggest opening up a case with Tableau Technical Support: Support Case | Tableau Software or diving into the logs using the Request ID in the error message.

Hope this helps,