1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 12:29 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

How to provide filter for amount column with these options (Greater Than Equal, Between, Less Than Equal To)

Zahid Shaikh

Hi

I am using Tableau Desktop 10.1, I am connecting with Excel file which has a column of Number type named Amount. I want to provide users with the option of filter for this field, One way to do that is a simple drag and drop Amount Field on the Filters Shelf and when you leave the mouse Tableau presents you with options as in below screenshot. That's not what I want If I use this default filter than I have to create 3 separate filters for users and each with different options (Range of Values) for amount BETWEEN  and At lease for Greater Than and Equal To and At most for the maximum amount.

Could anyone please suggest How do I embed all options into 1 filter If users select Between option then tableau must render the result for only amount range selected by the user for eg: (1 To 30) all Customers who have given a minimum of 1 and maximum of 30. In the same way Greater than or Equal to if user enter 50 with this option selected then only customers whose amount is equal to 50 or more must appear in the view and rest should be hidden and so on for Less than Equal to for eg: If user enter 30 then all customers between (1 to 29.99) must get shown here.

Thanking all community members in advance for this

Filter Amount.jpg

• 1. Re: How to provide filter for amount column with these options (Greater Than Equal, Between, Less Than Equal To)
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Zahid

Only the way I can think of is below.

Compared against the simplicity of the request, big construction is needed because of the Tableau's data handling feature.

Create three worksheet and combine on Dashboard with "worksheet filter" active.

Create parameter for user to select filter type.

Create calculated fields for worksheet filter.

[At least selected]

if [Select Filter Type] = "At least" then "Show" end

[At most selected]

if [Select Filter Type] = "At most" then "Show" end

[Between selected]

if [Select Filter Type] = "Between" then "Show" end

Create simple workbook with the value which you want to use as filter.

Then duplicate it twice to have total three worksheets.

Then put above calculated field to respective worksheet.

When you select "Between" from parameter, only [Between selected] filter has "Show"

so, pick "show" from the worksheet which has  [Between selected] filter.

When you select "Between" from parameter, only [At most selected] filter has "Show"

so, pick "show" from the worksheet which has [At most selected] filter.

When you select "Between" from parameter, only [At least selected] filter has "Show"

so, pick "show" from the worksheet which has [At least selected] filter.

create dashboard.

and put container.

And put three worksheets into that container.

Hide title for each

Now only selected parameter's filter work to hide other two worksheets and gray out filters.

Thanks,

Shin