13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 10:17 AM by Jaskaran Dhillon Branched to a new discussion.

How to create a pop up box in a dashboard

Jaskaran Dhillon

Hi all,

Is there any way of creating a 'kind of pop up dialog box' that appears when end users enter a "start date" bigger than the "end date" which would result in the sheets in the dashboard not showing anything. In the possible pop up dialog box I just want to let the user know of his/her mistake and to revise again.

Attached are some screenshots of my dashboard:

The indicated location can be where a pop up dialog box can appear when the user enters a start date bigger than the end date.

Thank you in advance for any ideas on this,

pop up box.PNG

Jaskaran

• 1. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
          Joe Oppelt

See attached.  It's an 8.2 example.

Dashboard 1 has all the components.  Then a progression to Dashboard 3 makes the final result.  I have  meeting to go to.  I'll explain when I get back.

• 2. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
            Jaskaran Dhillon

Hi Joe,

That is exactly what I want. I looked over the 8.2 example. Let me know when you get back.

Thanks in advance,

Jaskaran

• 3. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
              Joe Oppelt

Sheet 4 is the key to the whole thing.  On dashboard 1 you will see it appear and disappear based on the condition.  Click on Sheet 4 and take a close look there.

I have a calc in the filter shelf that simply compares the two parameters.  And the filter selects for TRUE.  So if the Start Date is greater than End Date, the value is TRUE, and the rows on the sheet display.  And you'll notice that I'm just displaying a bogus calc.  It really doesn't matter what displays on the sheet.  (The simpler the better.)  Just be sure to have some dimension on either ROWS or COLUMNS so that there is actually a sheet to display.

Also on Dashboard 1 is a text box.  You can have any object (or a whole bunch of objects) that this technique will pop out.

Go to Dashboard 2.  Now I have dragged the pop-out sheet and the text box into a floating horizontal container.  Hide the title of the pop-out sheet.  (Otherwise the title will always display, even if no rows display.)  Size up the pop-out sheet so that it is at least as big as the object you want to pop.  And fix the width of the object you are popping out.  If you don't, then the object will resize itself to fill the horizontal container when the pop-out sheet collapses.  (You can see what I mean if you click on the text box on Dashboard 2.  There is a little pin icon in the upper left corner of the border of the text box.  Click the pin to make it disappear, and change the parameter value to make the pop-out sheet disappear.  To fix the width of an object, right click on it.  "Fixed Width" is a item you can select.  It will fix it to the current size at the time you click it.  You can also edit the with size if you want to change it.  Just type in new numbers to mess with the size.)

Play with the parameters on Dashboard 2.  You'll see what the mechanism is doing.  When the pop-out sheet collapses, the text box moves to the left to stay tucked against the remaining remnant of the pop out sheet.

Now go to Dashboard 3.  All I did here was change the starting x-coordinate of the horizontal container to a negative number so that when the pop-out sheet is expanded, the text box gets pushed into view of the dashboard boundaries.  Using negative coordinates is perfectly acceptable, and becomes a powerful trick for doing stuff like this.

I also use this to prevent people from seeing a dashboard when they're not supposed to.  In the attached example I have a parameter on Dashboard 1.  If the value is 1 when the user goes to Dashboard 2, then he can see that dashboard.  But if the value is 2 when he goes to dashboard 2, he's not allowed to be there and the whole dashboard gets covered with a giant sheet that I pop out.  (I know this isn't what you asked about, but the pop-out technique is a nifty thing to use for all sorts of situations.)

All these examples were done way back in 8.x.  They don't  require any special newer features to implement them.

• 4. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                Jaskaran Dhillon

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation. But since I am new to Tableau could not really figure out the calculated field that you have set up as 'True' in sheet 4. I am attaching my packaged workbook and may be if you have time you can take a quick look at it.

• 5. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                  Joe Oppelt

Your workbook wants me to sign in to sql server.

The calc field just compares the two values.  The way it is designed, the result is either true or false.

I could have also done this:

IF [Start Date] > [End Date] then 1 else 0 END

That would result in a 1 or a 0 depending on the value of the two parameters.

If I put that on the filter shelf, I would want to select for value = 1.

If you still need me to look at your workbook, check out this link and do the stuff in the section titled:  Create a .twbx with Tableau Server data sources

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#save_savework_packagedworkbooks.html

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                    Jaskaran Dhillon

I apologise, did not notice that it needed and SQL server sign in.

Attached is the workbook, let me know if you can sign in. Again I really appreciate the help and your effort.

Thank you,

Jaskaran

• 7. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                      Joe Oppelt

See attached.

• 8. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                        Jaskaran Dhillon

Hi Joe,

How did you change the pop out message sheet to display only text when dragged into the dashboard? See the screenshots:

pop up sheet.PNG

When i drag the sheet 'pop out message' into the final dashboard in my SQL sheet, only this sheet appears when start date > end date. How to change this sheet into the text that you display. Moreover, when I drag it I have it on Floating.

Thank you,

Jaskaran

• 9. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                          Joe Oppelt

It doesn't matter what's on the pop-out sheet.  I just use it to "push" what is inserted to the right of that sheet in the floating container.

There is a video that shows how to do a pop-out object.

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Fi... |Tableau Community

The first half is about sheet swapping (which you will find valuable somewhere down the line) and the second half is about POPPING.  That's the technique I'm using to pop out the text box.

The text we're seeing when the condition is met does not come from the pop-out sheet itself.  It comes from a text box.

I described how to do it in the long post I made yesterday.  But maybe it would be easier to see it done in the video.

• 10. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                            Jaskaran Dhillon

Hi Joe,

I have seen the video now. I have figured out all the steps and dimensions. However, when I size the pop-out sheet and the text box in the horizontal object and I set a negative x-axis for the whole horizontal box, when the start date>end date it does not come in front of the dashboard rather it stays in the negative pane. I have fixed the width of the text box but still it remains when I change the date in the negative x-axis. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong. The horizontal box is in floating order and I bring both the pop-out sheets and the text box as tiled within the horizontal box. Than i fix the width of the text box, and set a negative x-axis for the horizontal box. However when I change dates it does not pop out the text in hte front of the dashboard. The calc. field is working fine but the text box is not coming in front of the dashboard when I change dates and does not go back when start date<end date.

Thank you

• 11. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                              Joe Oppelt

To make sure the pop-out mechanism is working correctly, move the whole container into positive space temporarily.  Change your start/end dates to make sure the pop-out sheet is expanding and disappearing correctly.

If it is working correctly where you can see the whole thing, then it's time to move it into negative space.  do this when the pop-out is expanded.  Keep changing the negative start value until the text box is displayed in the dashboard properly.  I do that by trial and error.  Inch it backward by 100 or 50 pixels to start.  Once the text box is positioned how you want it, then when you make the pop-out shrink, the whole text box should slide into the negative space.

• 12. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                                Jaskaran Dhillon

Alright I am gonna try that. But when you put the pop out sheet in the horizontal box and the text box do you include them as tiled?

• 13. Re: How to create a pop up box in a dashboard
                                  Joe Oppelt

Initially I have all three objects (the container, the pop-out sheet, and the text box) all floating on the dashboard.  Then I CLICK-Drag the pop-out sheet into the container.  And then I click-drag the text box into the container.  And I make sure it is positioned to the right of the pop-out sheet.  At that point they are tiled within the container.  And then it is just a matter of moving the container to the correct coordinates.