3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 10:54 AM by Deepak Rai

number of columns Tableau can handle?

ALEJANDRO GONZALEZ

has the number columns Tableau can handle changed? I believe its 16 at the moment

• 1. Re: number of columns Tableau can handle?
          Chuck Stevens

Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server do not have any enforced row or column limits for the amount of data that can be imported.
          Physical and theoretical limits are determined by a large number of factors, including the following:

• Hardware resources, such as RAM, CPU, and disk space.
          • The capabilities and limitations of the underlying data source.
          • Perceived performance and usability.
          • 2. Re: number of columns Tableau can handle?
            Jamieson Christian

If you are asking how many Dimensions can be put on the Rows or Columns shelf, the answer is:

• The number of Dimensions you can place is definitely more than 16. I was able to put 20 on the shelf for Superstore.
            • However, the maximum number of rows/columns generated for the labels is still 16. (Honestly, if you need more than that, you may want to rethink your visualization. The most typical scenario where >16 dimensions would be needed would be to "do Excel in Tableau".)
            • 3. Re: number of columns Tableau can handle?
              Deepak Rai

Hi Alejandro,

Yes number of dimensions  16, but there is  a way by which you can increase the number of columns. Move the Measures you want into TEXT. So if you have like many measures move them all to text and you can increase the number of columns.  I cant say what is the limit, but definitely you can get more columns. Please see the attached workbook and screenshot.

Thanks

Deepak