3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2017 2:05 PM by Jamieson Christian

Time Series: Excluding cases in a calculation after their date expires

Misael Cerpas

Hi all,

this is my first question ever! I'm calculating a moving average from 2015 to 2017 by quarter. However, certain cases should drop at an specific time. For example, a case might be include for Q1 2015 and Q2 2015 but then this participant should drop off in Q3 2015 because they left the study. I have field that tells me when the each data entry was collected and one that tells me when the participant fell off. I want to exclude each participant from calculations of the moving average that takes place after they fell off. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Misael

• 1. Re: Time Series: Excluding cases in a calculation after their date expires
          Jamieson Christian

Misael,

It would be very helpful if you would attach a packaged workbook so the community can get a better idea of the structure of your data and validate any proposed solutions. See this article: Why we ask for a workbook, and WHY I ASK FOR YOUR TABLEAU VERSION!!

Without seeing your data, I can only speak generally. Anytime you have a scenario where you essentially need to account for a row twice (once when it appears, and again when it drops off), it's usually a sure sign that you need to pivot your data. So instead of:

Unique KeyStart DateEnd DateMetric
          123452016-01-012016-03-1542

After pivoting, it will look like:

Unique KeyDateEventMetric
          123452016-01-01Start Date42
          123452016-03-15End Date42

This allows you to maintain a running average of the number of active cases, by triggering a +1 or -1 change in response to each Event in your pivoted data. The running average, then, can be incorporated into your moving average to yield the report you want.

Tableau can automatically pivot data from file sources such as Excel and CSV. If your data comes from a DBMS, you can write a Custom Query to accomplish the same thing. If you are using a data source that does not support Pivots, Unions, or Custom Queries, then you may need to prep your data outside of Tableau, manually or using an ETL tool.

I hope this helps. If you need any additional detail, I will ask that you attach a packaged workbook for review. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Time Series: Excluding cases in a calculation after their date expires
            Misael Cerpas

Hi Christian,

thank so much for spending time helping me out. I set up the data the way you explained. What can I do If I now want to to exclude the end dated metric for any calculation taking place after 2016-03-15? Would I create a calculated field?

On a related note, is the moving average cumulative in Tableau? My calculations do not seem to be including the records from previous quarters because the number of participants do not increase as my line graph progresses. I actually get smaller numbers of unique participants at various points (numbers displayed below). This number discrepancy would not be do to participants falling off.

Excuse me for not sharing a workbook. 

Tableau Line graph count error (1.29.17).JPG

• 3. Re: Time Series: Excluding cases in a calculation after their date expires
              Jamieson Christian

Misael,

Yes, if you want to exclude the end date metric, you should be able to do so in your calculated field.

You should already have created a calculated field to generate the +1 and -1 changes to use for your running total. For instance:

IF [Event] = 'Start Date' THEN 1
              ELSEIF [Event] = 'End Date' THEN -1
              END

You can simply modify that to check the date before generating a -1.

IF [Event] = 'Start Date' THEN 1
              ELSEIF [Event] = 'End Date' AND [Date] <= #2016-03-15# THEN -1
              END

Regarding your other question: a moving average is not cumulative in Tableau. It is simply an average of the last N data points. Depending on what you want to do, the running total of the above calculated field will probably be sufficient. (You said moving average so I thought maybe you were taking a moving average of the running total, which is a different concept.)