7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 12:51 AM by Donna Coles

Rename of Workbook

balaji.kolluru

Hi All,

Greetings!!

I have a workbook named 'ABC' under default project. Now I need to rename the workbook to 'ABCD' on the web browser it self. Is there any possibility to change on the go instead of republishing it with the new name.

If not, Can't we rename the workbook from postgresql db end?

Let me know if you require any info

Thanks

• 1. Re: Rename of Workbook
          Donna Coles

Hi Trinadha

There is no functionality within the Server UI to rename a workbook.  The name of the workbook gets embedded into the URL that gets generated, so that's probably why the functionality is a bit trickier to deliver, and why it's also not recommended to rename via the postgres directly, as you may end up breaking stuff and Tableau won't support it I'm afraid.

If you've enabled web authoring on your server, then you do have the option to Edit online and Save-As with the new name and then delete the old one, rather than having to re-publish via Desktop.

Donna

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rename of Workbook
            balaji.kolluru

Thanks Donna for the alternate solution regarding web authoring.

• 3. Re: Rename of Workbook
              Donna Coles

no problems - glad I could help

• 4. Re: Rename of Workbook
                balaji.kolluru

Hi Donna,

Need a quick help. I tried renaming the workbook using web authoring option. It worked but it is not picking up the schedule which it has to.Please let me know if you have any alternate solution for this?

• 5. Re: Rename of Workbook
                  Donna Coles

Hi Trinadha

When you look at the workbook on server, do you not have a refresh schedules option?  It will only be available if there is an extracted datasource in the workbook (which I assume it has if it was on a schedule before...).  If you click on this , you then get the ability to add the workbook to a schedule

Capture.JPG

Alternatively, the same option is accessible from the menu (...)  against the workbook if you view it on List view in the Project.

Capture.JPG

Donna

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Rename of Workbook
                    balaji.kolluru

Hi Donna,

I'm able to see all the steps you have mentioned but my query is ..

Let me take an example,

Suppose I have a workbook named 'ABC' scheduled to refresh daily by 7 AM. Now , I renamed the workbook to 'ABCD' as I have web authoring enabled. Its working and fine till now. Now, the next day it has to pick up the 'Daily 7AM schedule' and run which is not happening after the rename of workbook in this case. Do you know how to fix this?

Let me know if you require any info on this

Thanks in advance

• 7. Re: Rename of Workbook
                      Donna Coles

Hmm sounds odd.

Can you confirm that if you look at the list of workbooks in the schedule list your workbook isn't there..(click on the Schedules menu option, then click the 7am schedule you refer to, you'll see a list of workbooks associated to that schedule).  I'm asusming you have server/site admin rights.  If you don't then check with someone who has.

Capture.JPG

If you can't see it listed, then you need to add it like I described in the previous post.  If it is there, then can you see when it last run/when its nect due to run?  Ids it possible to kick a refresh off manually and see if it errors?

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful