7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 11:37 AM by Johnny Huang

action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3

Johnny Huang

Team,

I'm using 10.1.3.

I have a dashboard with filter actions set up & I'm trying to have the filter action filter across multiple data sources.  However, it doesn't seem to allow me to do that.

A simple filter (i.e. not a filter as a result of a Dashboard/Worksheet Action) allows "ALL using Related Datasources".

Is this a limitation in the tool guys?

Snapshot of an 'Action Filter'.  Not showing the 'ALL using related datasources'

Action - Filter.png

Snapshot of an standard 'Filter'.  Shows the 'ALL using related datasources'...

Normal Filter.png

• 1. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
          Simon Runc

hi Johnny,

So yes you can use Filter Actions across Data-sources (in fact this was the way to get around not having the option in quick filters before 10+!).

When you set up your actions, click on the Selected Fields options. In here you can choose (in the target) the datasource.

Hopefully, that makes sense, but let me know if not (ideally with a mock up of your situation as a .twbx) and I'm happy to take a look.

• 2. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
            Johnny Huang

thanks for your response.  Unfortunate that method requires each of the data sources (of which I have 8) to have a workbook exposed on that dashboard in order for the filters to flow through.  This is how I've done it for now but I had hoped the 'Filter all related datasources' would be a better way to solve it.

I've attached a whipped workbook as an example.

On the "Main dashboard", you will see 2 worksheets...

1. [FileList] lists all the available files

2. [Total Traffic] shows the Total traffic of the Files you select on [FileList] worksheet on the left.

As all the Datasources have 'FileID' as a column, I had hoped that the ACTION Filter in my [Main Dashboard] driving FileID filter from the selection of the FileList worksheet to the [Total Traffic] worksheet, could be applied to the other data sources.

i.e. my goal is the user would select files in "Main Dashboard" - [FileList] which would then show the 'Total Traffic' in the [Total Traffic] worksheet in the [Main Dashboard].  After this, when they switch across to the [Detail Dashboard] which contains 3 other worksheets using 3 different datasources (that isn't on the [Main Dashboard]) they would show the same FileIDs as selected in the [Main Dashboard].

does this make sense?

• 3. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
              Johnny Huang

just attaching the workbook I created to show my challenge

• 4. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
                Simon Runc

hi Johnny,

So how's this for you?

I've set up a second action (set off a Menu...so user can click to filter in Main, or use Menu to go to Detail, with the selected FileID(s)) to filter the Detail Dashboard

As you'll see in the "Selected Fields" I needed to set up the FileID 3 times (one to each datasource).

hope that helps.

• 5. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
                  Johnny Huang

thank you very much Simon for your suggestion/help!!!

Unfortunately that doesn't solve my challenge.. as I have many 'Detailed Dashboards] to drive (each of the different data sources have it's own detailed drill down dashboard)... so while your suggestion works, it only works for driving filters through to 1 other dashboard.  Another downside is that it takes you to that dashboard directly which is not the desired behaviour either.

for now, can you / someone be able to confirm that the 'Filter all related datasources' is NOT supposed to work on ACTION filters?  knowing that definitively will help at least... knowing I didn't miss some documentation somewhere

• 6. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
                    Simon Runc

So yes I can confirm that we don't have that option with Action Filters (as Tableau creates them as sets, they aren't like the "actual" dimension, so it kind of makes sense...if a little annoying!)

I do, however, have a potential work-around...on the "Main Dash" I've brought in all sheets (we only need one sheet per DS)...I've floated them and made them really small (in your final version make them really really small...I just wanted to ensure you could see them). I can then set up the actions as before (without needing to click through to the detail)

I can then go into each of these sheets and set it to "All Using this Datasource"

Now when you go into detail they are all filtered!

We use this "tiny floated" sheets trick on our dashboards...although we use them to allow the user to download the data in a pre-defined format (with a little JS API magic to pick up the (tiny floated) export sheet when the user requests a download). We make it 1px by 1px and hide behind a floated container...usually in the title where there is some white space.

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: action filter across multiple data sources in v.10.1.3
                      Johnny Huang

thanks Simon! yeah I went with that solution in the end also... although making them 'Floating' is a great idea! saves me some valuable screen realestate!

I must say, when I saw "Filter all related data sources" I just assumed it would work on Action Filters too... oh well... room for improvement eh! :-)

thanks again for your time & assistance Simon!