3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2017 1:17 AM by Simon Runc

How to keep each (group) of packed bubbles together?

umayr hussaini

Hi guys!

So I have a list of these moments, and the way I created these groups is manually holding CTRL and then selecting the different moments I want in each group. However, the only way to sort these that I can find is by manually either moving one bubble up or down, and no matter how much tweaking I do, I can't get the group I made to stay right next to each other.

How can I keep each Group that I have made to stay next to each other?

Thanks!

TABLEAU.png

I have a list of

• 1. Re: How to keep each (group) of packed bubbles together?
          Simon Runc

hi Umayr,

If you change the order of your 2 pills (detail and group) that should do the trick...

Packed Bubble Order.gif

So won't put them next to one another...but they are in a groups.

Hope that helps

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to keep each (group) of packed bubbles together?
            umayr hussaini

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for your answer. Bummer there's not a way to change the order in a more efficient way. However, your answer does really help, because I did not realize the order of the pills make a difference. Still a Tableau noob, but learning!

Thanks Simon!

• 3. Re: How to keep each (group) of packed bubbles together?
              Simon Runc

Glad it helped. Yes I think the fact that the order controls the display is a by-product of the way a bubble plot is just the circle version of the tile/tree-map. To get your groupings together, I'd recommend a tile/tree-map. In the below I've coloured on both Cat and product. By having both dimensions in the Viz Tableau does group them, and by having them both on colour we get a single colour per Cat, and the intensity difference for each product.

Although bubble charts are visually appealing, tile/tree-maps are visually easier for us humans to compare the sizes (I think it's easier to see in the tree-map viz that Tech and Furniture are the biggest, and around the same size, than on the bubble version). I only use bubble charts if I've got a very un-data (if that's a word!) audiencee, who might not look at the data at all in most other vizes.

Here's one of my all time faves

The Billion Dollar Gram — Information is Beautiful