4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 10:27 PM by lei.chen.0

How to achieve Date Selection Year, Qtr, Month and Date Range selection

Sunil Gudipati

I am in the process of Developing a report that has a Date Selection Parameter as a Quick filter and i need a Date Range with Start and End Dates as another Quick filter.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Attached is my sample report "DATE_SELECTOR.twbx", however couldn't link between Year Selection and Date Range.

• 1. Re: How to achieve Date Selection Year, Qtr, Month and Date Range selection
          lei.chen.0

Hello Sunil,

Almost everything necessary has been done in your workbook.

Just put [DATE] on filters card and select "true".

Also, since [Order Date] in your data is from 2010 to 2013, don't select a date range out of this, otherwise you will get empty.

PS: It seems that you attached your Tableau training materials too

Regards.

Lei

• 2. Re: How to achieve Date Selection Year, Qtr, Month and Date Range selection
            Sunil Gudipati

HI Lei,

while i agree agree with the dates, we cannot predict the end user behaviour of picking up the dates.. I want to see if we submit out of date range it still show the calendar but don't show any data!!

I Wasn't able to get the True when applied a filter, did you hard code it? I was only seeing False all the time .

other cases I failed to resolve :

1. If I select Quarter, I was interested in a Date format to show 2016, Q1 ...etc but my result set doesn't show so.

if you have any suggestions around this pls let me know.

btw the tableau trainings got uploaded mistakenly, I am gonna delete them. Kindly ignore.

• 3. Re: How to achieve Date Selection Year, Qtr, Month and Date Range selection
              Sunil Gudipati

HI Lei,

if possible recommend me any forums similar scenarios solved from the community forums, I am sure I can get many use cases..

also please attach the workbook you are you are going to modify for me to look.

regards,

sunil

• 4. Re: How to achieve Date Selection Year, Qtr, Month and Date Range selection
                lei.chen.0

Hello SUNIL,

Sunil Gudipati wrote:

while i agree agree with the dates, we cannot predict the end user behaviour of picking up the dates.. I want to see if we submit out of date range it still show the calendar but don't show any data!!

My advice is to add some instructions for users.

Sunil Gudipati wrote:

I Wasn't able to get the True when applied a filter, did you hard code it? I was only seeing False all the time .

1) [DATE] calculation is [Order Date]>= [Start Date] AND [Order Date]<=[End Date]

2) [Order Date] range is from 2010/01/01 - 2013/12/31

3) Current selections for parameter [Start Date] and [End Date] are both 2016/12/19

As a result, your [DATE] result is false.

The steps are,

1) Drag and drop [DATE] onto Filters

2) In the detail setting, check True and click OK

3) You will get empty result, so change the parameters to a date range with 2010/01/01 - 2013/12/31.

Sunil Gudipati wrote:

1. If I select Quarter, I was interested in a Date format to show 2016, Q1 ...etc but my result set doesn't show so.

If what you require is something like the following image, please check out the attached workbook.

Regards.

Lei