6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2017 11:59 AM by Jose Avila

Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?

Zachary Rubin

Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?
          Matt Coles

Trigger an immediate, one-time execution of an alert that you are the owner of by entering the following in the Comment box at the bottom:

test_alert

You should expect a response within 2 minutes or so of the comment being entered. You can delete (or not) the comment after it fires--it will still only send it the one time. Subsequent tests can be triggered with more of the same comment.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?
            Zachary Rubin

Apologies. I have tried hard coding the run_next_at date in the SQL query but it just dawned on me that I may need to adjust the default_timeout_s as well. I will try this when I get home. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?
              Zachary Rubin

Oh. Genius. Thanks, Matt. I thought that "test_alert" was only applicable to the VizAlertsDemo workbook. That's much easier.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?
                Jose Avila

Just curious if it was possible have it send more than once when using the comment. We are needing an alert for an extract as soon as it finishes - the same way Tableau sends an alert when a refresh fails - but the most frequent we can get is 15 mins.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?
                  Matt Coles

The comment thing is really just for ad-hoc testing. There are two reasons that 15 minutes is the fastest cadence right now:

1. That is the fastest cadence that you can create a Tableau Server for in the UI.

2. Having alerts run faster than that makes it more difficult to build them in a way that prevents duplicates and missed alerts based on a relative date.

In v 2.1.0, which I'm only really starting to build out right now, I'm hoping to implement this feature which would hopefully do what you need. We'd basically have you create two new schedules, one with "Extract refresh succeeded" and one with "Extract refresh failed" or something like that in the name. VizAlerts would then use information from those refreshes to determine whether an alert scheduled that way should be run. Theoretically we'd get within-the-minute performance that way.

Another alternative, which is not something I would necessarily recommend because it is not supported and might break things, might be to edit the schedules table in your Tableau Server postgreSQL repository. The UI won't let you create a schedule faster than 15 minutes, but the value "15" in the schedules table could be updated to "5" or what have you, and the Scheduler may pick it up. If you did that, and it worked, and you subscribed your VizAlert to it, you would want to make sure to use a custom calc to filter your alert date to the previous five-minute interval , much like was done in this tip: Tip: Relative date filter for previous 15 minutes . Even with that, though, you may end up missing an alert or sending a duplicate because of the tight time range, and the fact that all alerts don't run exactly when scheduled each time--sometimes several alerts need to run at the same time, and there can be a delay if they take awhile each, or you aren't running very many threads.

Hope that helps!

• 6. Re: Is there a way to increase the frequency of alerts (<15 mins) during testing?
                    Jose Avila

Thanks, Matt!

I really appreciate the information and look forward to the new VizAlerts release.

I've been looking for that tip since yesterday for another trigger view(boss doesn't want to receive the same email more than once), so that is much appreciated. I've seen you mention updating the schedule in a previous thread but need to give it more thought and if it's really worth it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful