3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2017 1:50 PM by Zareen Govender

Cannot view underlying data on LOD Calculations

Zareen Govender

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to using LOD calculations and I need some assistance.

I've created a series of calculations regarding donor retention (see screenshot below) using the FIXED level of detail.

What I want the user to be able to do is to view what donor detail is behind each of these summary numbers.

However when I view underlying data, I see the entire data set (not the 81 new donors - as per my screenshot example).

Am I missing something, or is this capability lost with LOD expressions?

Thanks!

Zareen

• 1. Re: Cannot view underlying data on LOD Calculations
          Hrvoje Gabelica

It think this feature never existed. Maybe I'm wrong.

• 2. Re: Cannot view underlying data on LOD Calculations
            Jamieson Christian

Zareen,

The LOD expression is just one part of your calculation. You are seeing all rows in the underlying data because every single row is being compared to your LOD expression and assigned a 0 or 1 based on the comparison. As far as Tableau is concerned, every single row contributed to the resulting number 81.

I'm going to guess that using 1 or NULL (instead of 1 or 0) won't cause Tableau to show anything differently, but it's worth a try.

if { FIXED [GIFT_DONOR_ID]  :min ([GIFT_YEAR_OF_GIVING])} = [Gift Year_P]
            THEN 1 END

If that doesn't work, then you're only option (I think) is to report the number on a sheet where you can filter out the zeros so that Tableau has a better understanding of which rows contribute to the view and which ones do not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Cannot view underlying data on LOD Calculations
              Zareen Govender

Thank you Jamieson. I tried using the NULL instead of 0, but that didn't make much of a difference. But now atleast I can use the 1 or 0 as the filter when I export to excel, or as you suggested use it on another sheet as a filter for the user.

I understand that all rows are being used to calculated the LOD, but its really too bad that its not simple to view what data made up a number

Thanks again!

Zareen