3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2017 1:53 PM by Egor Larin

How to determine which Tableau Server process runs in Windows Server

Egor Larin

Hello folks,

Once upon the time I had a task - which backgrounder.exe should be killed via Task Manager if it is stuck How to drop backgrounder.exe if it is stuck

I found a better way to deal with that. Also it works for any Tableau Server process (vizsqlserver, backgrounder, etc.)

The main problem is that Task Manager doesn't show you port number for certain process. But we can see them in Tableau Server interface:

From that moment we have two ways:

• Via Command Line (cmd-lovers)
      • Via Windows Server interface (gui-lovers)

Command Line

Run the first command:

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq vizqlserver.exe"

That will return the list of processes with filtered name and PIDs

Run the second command:

netstat -ano | findstr 13948

That will return the list of used ports for that PID. Now look for localhost (0.0.0.0) - 9103.

Solved! To drop that process if it is down I must kill PID 13948

Windows Server Interface

Open Resource Monitor and select certain processes in Network tab in Processes list

Open Listening Ports tab to find associated port

Voila! Solved

PS. Toby Erkson thank you for inspiration

• 1. Re: How to determine which Tableau Server process runs in Windows Server

Hey Egor,

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I would consider posting this in our TabWiki for other users to find more easily.

Thanks,

-Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to determine which Tableau Server process runs in Windows Server
            Toby Erkson

Question:  Does one needs to go through each PID (e.g. tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq vizqlserver.exe") until they find the one with the matching local host and port number (e.g. netstat -ano | findstr 13948)?

You use "vizqlserver" for your cmd-lovers example but use "backgrounder" for your gui-lovers.  Just to clarify, the gui-lovers method can be used for "vizqlserver" as well as other processes:

Hover your mouse over the process to get the specific port number.  Using the below example I hovered over the right check mark of a VizQL Server process (mouse isn't shown).  The port number is the value after the colon, in this case, 9101:

1)  In the Resource Monitor click on the Network tab.

2)  Click on every Image name "vizqlserver.exe" in the "Processes with Network Activity" section.

3)  Match the port number of the number in the Process Status (above picture) to the one in the "Listening Ports" section below.

We see that Port (the forth column in the "Listening Ports") 9101 is associated to PID 15612 (the second column).

You can now go back into the Windows Task Manager and "End Process Tree" for that specific vizqlserver.exe where the PID is 15612:

By default, Tableau will re-start a new vizqlserver.exe process.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to determine which Tableau Server process runs in Windows Server
              Egor Larin

Hi Toby Erkson

Does one needs to go through each PID...

I had the same question... I thought there is no way to find port by any CMD command. I found only that way on the web. During my observations localhost was always first row. Any shortcuts?

the gui-lovers method can be used for "vizqlserver" as well as other processes

I wanted to show both ways with most common processes-to-kill. Yes, both approaches work for vizsqlserver and backgrounder.

Thank you once again

BR,

Egor