3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2017 11:15 PM by Russell Christopher

Refresh tasks stuck in pending on Tableau Server 10.1

haroon.rasheed.0

Hi,

In tableau server one of the Dashboard extract is scheduled to refresh every 30 mints Most of the times the status go into pending and we have 4 backgrounders are running parallel in server.

One of the suggestions is to change priority but client is not comfort to change the priority.

Could anyone please suggest me how can I overcome with this issue?

Thanks,

Haroon

• 1. Re: Refresh tasks stuck in pending on Tableau Server 10.1
          Russell Christopher

It sounds like you have other tasks already executing on your 4 backgrounders, and therefore "this" refresh task doesn't start immediately as scheduled. This is pretty much expected if you have too much work going through too few backgrounders.

Even if you DO raise priority on this task, it simply means it'll "go first" when a backgrounder opens up. However it won't do anything to ensure the task starts executing immediately, which I think is probably what your customer wants. A backgrounder must be free in order for work to start immediately. That means you need to do less refreshing work elsewhere, or have more backgrounders (and therefore more hardware, more Tableau, etc.)

What should you do?

• Understand that only so many extract refresh processes can execute at the same time (in your case, 4). Make sure your customer understands that a backgrounder is a very limited resource and they will "use them up" if they use refresh schedules that execute too often. Question them closely about how often each of their refresh schedules REALLY needs to execute keeping in mind the upper limit it seems they're already hitting. Be firm
          • Consider creating two schedules - One with a higher priority which runs tasks in parallel. Only refresh jobs that execute "quickly" should be assigned to this schedule. Create a second schedule with a lower priority - set it to run tasks serially. Assign "slow" refresh jobs to it. This approach will prevent 4 "slow" refresh tasks from totally soaking up all your backgrounders and preventing other tasks which could execute quickly from even starting.
          • 2. Re: Refresh tasks stuck in pending on Tableau Server 10.1
            haroon.rasheed.0

Hi Russell,

Thanks! It is very helpful for me.

I am new to Tableau server if I suggest to increase backgrounders is it helpful.

Tableau creates any Error loges for this kid of Issues and how can I monitor how many Extracts are running in same time.

Thanks,

Haroon

• 3. Re: Refresh tasks stuck in pending on Tableau Server 10.1
              Russell Christopher

The maximum number of backgrounder you should run on any machine is (# of cores / 2) - So, if you have an 8 core machine, 4 backgrounders.