2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 9:22 AM by Joe Oppelt

Sheet Selection based on which filter is being used

Amy Hamilton

Hey group! I would like to use the Sheet Selector idea in a more complex way... I know we can create a parameter or action filter to select which sheet to view. However I already have filters I would like to use, and I'd like the sheet being viewed to change depending on which filter I'm using to make a selection. I have 3 different filters: Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. Each of these contains a list of departments and each level breaks down the department into smaller teams - Level 1 broken down into various Level 2s, which is broken down into more Level 3s.

When viewing at Level 1 I would like them to see a sheet with a higher level of aggregation (for example sales by country).

When viewing at Level 2 I would like them to see a different sheet with a lower level of aggregation (example sales by Region)

When viewing at Level 3 I would like them to see a different sheet with again a lower level (example sales by city).

So in essence, I would like to create a way to do the following: If X filter is chosen, use Y sheet.

• 1. Re: Sheet Selection based on which filter is being used
          Wim Kegels

Hi Amy,

this is kind of hard to answer without your data, but couldn't you create a Boolean calculated field that checks whether your filter is in use? Something like

IIF([filter1]=<some value that indicates filter1 is active>, true, false).  Include this on the sheets you want to show (true) or hide (false).

Hope this helps.  If it doesn't, can you add a packaged workbook with some data?

Kind regards,

Wim

• 2. Re: Sheet Selection based on which filter is being used
            Joe Oppelt

Wim is on to something there.

You can create a calc like this:

{  FIXED : COUNTD([whatever field is used for filter 1]) }

This will give you the count of all values for filter 1.

Then you can compare that value to COUNTD([field 1]) on the sheet, and if they are the same, then the user didn't filter out anything from field 1, and therefore is not using the field 1 filter.

Do the same for the other filters.

Find the one that has stuff filtered out.

Base your sheet selector condition on the result of these calcs.

Question:  What stops the user from filtering on TWO or THREE of the filters?