2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 7:09 AM by Abhijeet N

Showing HBase cell data for different versions of the data using Tableau

Abhijeet N

Hi Team,

As we know that HBase support multiple versioning of the cell value in a single row for a specific column family.

So, suppose, if a cell value changes in HBase, it can store both the version of the cell value with different time stamp.

Is there a way to display all the version of a cell value present in HBase database or do a analysis on a particular row and analyze how cell values have changed for different version.

I am using Tableau 10 and connecting to HBase REST API using Simba ODBC driver.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks

Abhijeet

• 1. Re: Showing HBase cell data for different versions of the data using Tableau

Hey Abhijeet,

As Tableau doesn't have a built in mechanism for tracking those cell changes, the only way I could think to do this is to create separate connections to the data source with each connection having one version of the cell, then comparing those as you would any other values.

-Diego

• 2. Re: Showing HBase cell data for different versions of the data using Tableau
            Abhijeet N

Hi Diego

Could you please tell me how to read one version of the HBase cell value using Tableau as When I connected Tableau to HBase REST API using Simba ODBC driver, I can only see the latest cell value in Tableau.

As per my understanding goes, HBase maintain the history of cell tuple value using row, column and time-stamp. So, when we say cell value for different version, we are referring to different time-stamp for same row and column value. Interestingly, this time-stamp is HBase property and Tableau could not able to read it. So, it's only showing latest time-stamp data in tableau.

If you have any alternate way of doing it, kindly elaborate it.

Thanks

Abhijeet