1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 7:41 AM by Stephen Rizzo

Filtering not on a particular column but on the number of columns in a table

Ankita Chowdhury

Hello,

I have a scenario where I have around 100 columns. But the end user should get a view of 90 of those columns in  sidepane like a filter and choose the columns he/she wants to see.

I know we can use a filter on the column to choose the values under that column but how can a filter be added on the column list? How can this be achieved?

I was wondering of we could create a table with the list of these 90 columns as 90 rows thena filter can be added as then these 90 coumsn names will be values for a 1 column 90 row table. But how can I link this new table with my original table.

Waiting for a reply!

• 1. Re: Filtering not on a particular column but on the number of columns in a table
          Stephen Rizzo

Hi Ankita,

How to do this depends on your underlying data structure and what exactly you want in your columns. The simplest solution would be to put [Measure Names] (if your columns are separate measures / your data is in a wide format) or [Measure Name] (whatever you are calling the field with your measure names if your data is in a long format) in the Columns shelf, filter on [Measure Names] (or [Measure Name]), then select "Show Filter" from the context menu.

If you really are trying to filter on the number of columns in a table (for example forcing the number of columns selected in the filter to be exactly 90 in order for the table to display), that is possible too.