2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 12:30 PM by Mikhail Christiansen

Percent Change from Zero that Starts at the Axis

Mikhail Christiansen

Hello Tableau World,

I was trying to imitate this recent viz by Andy Cotgreave:

I am using Tableau 10.1 and my current viz looks like this:

I have had this issue before and ignored it, but figured it is time that I figured it out. How do I bring the start of all 2006 points (0%) to be as close to lined up to the y axis as possible?

Right now, there is a huge gap between they y axis and where the points start. I cannot edit the axis because the 2006 and 2016 are just headers.

Please help!

Mikhail

Here is a link to the Tableau Public dashboard: Tableau Public

• 1. Re: Percent Change from Zero that Starts at the Axis
          Walt Reed

Hey Mikhail,

I think your problems lies with the fact that the Year is formatted as a String. If you are able to convert it to Date or Number, then do that, and make it Continuous. Then, right click on the axis, Edit Axis, and you can adjust the axis to start with 2009.

I hope this helps!

Walt

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Percent Change from Zero that Starts at the Axis
            Mikhail Christiansen

Hi Walt Reed,

Thanks for the suggestion! When I made the axis continuous, all of the year values from 2006-2016 returned. At first, I hid the header and added two reference lines (constants) for 2006 and 2016. Then, I formatted them to look like they were on the axis. That was a huge workaround and I was about to reply to see what else could be done before I realized a better solution. I set the tick marks to fixed every 10 years, starting with 2006.

This made it so only the 2006 and 2016 values showed up and didn't require the messy reference lines. That is probably an obvious solution for most people, but wanted to include it in case anyone else had the same issue.

Best,

Mikhail