6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 4:11 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server

Jeff Lefkowitz

In making changes to a workbook with a dashboard, a dashboard that was not updated (nor were any of its components) has changed!  Whereas the filters used to take up only the visible space, now they push everything downward creating significant blank area between the filters and the viz.

There are multiple types of filters in play, changing the type doesn't seem to impact.

I have moved them to new layout containers, looked at every setting, and even floated them pushing them to the back but they still appear to take space in server that they don't in desktop. Anyone have ideas?

The first image is from the desktop version.  Second is from the one published to Server.  I've tried them both vertically and horizontally.  To make this even weirder, I have a prior version in Production which I downloaded and re-published which maintains the proper spacing.

Desktop (nice and tight)

Server (blowing out the bottoms)

• 1. Re: Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server
          Sagar Sanjay Joshi

Hi Jeff,

What Desktop and Server version are you working with?

• 2. Re: Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server
            Jeff Lefkowitz

10.x?...desktop 9.3 but it also did this on a colleague using 10.x desktop (I'm a laggard)

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server
              Shawn Wallwork

You've discovered that Tableau Desktop to Server is NOT a WYSIWYG. Just guessing, but it looks to me like you have all those filters set to 'Fit Entire' in a container that is 'Tiled'. So as the screen resolution changes the container gets bigger and the filters all shift to fill the space. I'm also guessing that your screen resolution is fairly small? Or you're not working in Desktop at full screen? This is why the container shrinks and packs the filters tightly? I'm also guessing that the Dashboard size is set to 'Automatic'. Yes? This allow the dashboard to resize based on the viewer's monitor (or device) resolution, squeezing everything together, or expanding them apart.

I've found that it is best to do these things:

• Set an Exact dashboard size; now a days it best to use a 16:9 ratio, as that seems to be the most common ratio. (See the chart here.)
              • Float everything that 'touches' the canvas (So the container that hold those filters would be floating, while the filters themselves would be tiled.)
              • Set the Filters container to an exact size and position (in relation to the canvas).
              • Set the filters 'Fit Entire' if they are all drop-down filters; or 'Fit Width' if they are List type filters.
              • Publish to Server early and often! And test how it looks on other people's monitors.

There's a lot more to it, but this will get you started.

Better describe your situation (are my guesses right?) and we can better help you troubleshoot your issue.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server
                Shawn Wallwork

FYI: It is NOT recommended to use a different version of Desktop to publish to a different version of Server. They should always remain in sync. Did you have your 10.x colleague publish the workbook to Server? Does his 10.x match the Server 10.x?

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server
                  Jeff Lefkowitz

Yeah, my primary use of Tableau is as an analytical tool.

I found the problem, but I have no idea why it is doing this or how to reconcile beyond the obvious, which is not desirable (explanation below).

Turns out the issue had nothing to do with the dashboards that were impacted (which were all set to “Automatic” sizing), but rather by the inclusion of a new distinct dashboard which is in effect a long contract that had to be set to exactly 1020x3500.  When that contract dashboard is excluded, all is perfect.  When it’s included, all the other dashboards are uglified.

The obvious two answers:

1.        Don’t include the contract piece: Not an option--This is a massive ROI enhancement as a few days work would have made me a hero of epic proportions.

2.       Break up the contract into pieces: not desirable because it opens us to risk of a rep screwing up and not printing out all the pieces.

Any thoughts about why this would be happening and/or mitigation?

Jeff Lefkowitz

Strategic Pricing

•Phone: 973.822.7238 | • e-mail: Jeffrey.Lefkowitz@zoetis.com

• 6. Re: Filter Boxes push down everything when published to server
                    Shawn Wallwork

Jeff,

This is most definitely something the Devs want to hear about. (Especially if it is repeatable.) Please open a support case. These sorts of reported issues help Tableau be better. So please report it.

Thanks,

--Shawn